London SE1 community website

Southwark Refuse Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Saturday 19 July 2003 10.48am
I think it's sorted now - I saw them picking up bags on Dunton Road this morning.
Monday 21 July 2003 12.47pm
Can I just corect a few of the misapprehensions here?

We have not just brought refuse collection back in house. It always has been in house. Earlier this year we brought the street cleaning service back in house. The impact on streets has been widely noticed and rightly praised - and these cleaners were not involved in last week's industrial action and did a very good job of managing to keep problems with rubbish etc low.

The council was effectively given a week's notice of the strike. Given that I think we did a reasonable job in coping. The strike is not of our making. Unison are in dispute with all London councils. For more information about how unreasonable the Union pay claim is see http://www.alg.gov.uk/doc.asp?doc=9580&cat=993

Making Southwark cleaner and greener is one of our key priorities - which is why we've invested in the 1200 new litter bins which are currently appearing around the borough.

Nick Stanton">Nick Stanton
Leader of Southwark Council
Monday 21 July 2003 1.02pm
Nick,

What would have helped was if the council told us what was being done... we're quite understanding on the whole but personally I didn't like the

"We are taking any action that we can to minimise the impact of the strike and are increasing resources to ensure that all waste is cleared in the week commencing Monday 21 July"

As it happened you did a great job personally speaking on getting the waste cleared - tell us though, if there are extra measures being carried out then let us know otherwise we think the worst. this is a great forum and it is a credit that it brings all sides together.
Monday 21 July 2003 2.13pm
I agree with Dave, the only action I saw from the council was a crumpled up letter in my post box on the morning the strike was commencing. If the council had been given 1 weeks' notice why was I (and my neighbours) only told on Monday.

I too think it's great that the Leader (no less) of Southwark is prepared to represent himself on the forum. But to use "We are taking any action that we can to minimise the impact of the strike...." without telling us what you are doing is just not good enough. Sounds too much like a cop-out.
Monday 21 July 2003 2.34pm
If Southwark have pulled out all the stops then we will applaud you, if not we will be your critics....

This goes for most things. We're a pretty fair bunch and although we can come across as a whingy bunch on occassion (myself included) we do understand and appreciate true effort and being kept informed.

(Thanks Tizzy!!)
Tuesday 22 July 2003 11.21am
We weren't told at all, and we're Southwark tenants! I had to go to their web site to find out more, and even then there was just a press release.
Monday 28 July 2003 9.01am
Jesus listen to you lot whinge!!! what a bunch of moaners!

Next you'll be moaning that someone's not there to wipe your arses! so what 'useful' jobs do you all do that gives you the right to moan so much about lack of service? bet none of you would take a job as a binman so you should have a little bit more respect and support for people who have to shovel your sh**t up for a living. Essential and useful jobs such as nurses, teachers, doctors, binmen, firemen, police etc are public services and hence get paid utterly crap wages relative to the value and skills they provide to society. whereas pointless and inessential jobs such as management consultants, politicians, accountants, managers etc get paid far more than their relative value and skills to society at large. now thats what I call smelly rubbish.

So this is what western free market values does for us eh? grown adults moaning like spoilt children because their refuse 'smells' and won't be picked up for a week. boo hoo - how would you cope in a time of real crisis I ask you??
Monday 28 July 2003 10.49am
Looks like the whole point of this thread has been completely lost on Adele.

Post edited (28 Jul 03 11:50)
Monday 28 July 2003 10.57am
you're right. what is the point of this thread? just seems like a lot of moaning about nothing to me. why don't you spend more energy on stuff that matters -like people getting paid too much money who contribute relatively little to society rather than binmen going on strike.
Monday 28 July 2003 11.27am
Well said, Adele. It's those with too much time on their hands who are quickest to moan, about everything in general and nothing of substance. This site is full of them. I'm amazed they haven't called for 'Red Ken' to come around personally and collect their Moet Chandon bottles and takeaway sushi boxes. Cue reactionary response from the Tories.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions