London SE1 community website

Southwark Refuse Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Tuesday 29 July 2003 5.18pm
Am not rich at all. Wasn't a matter of luck either it was a personal choice and one also based on academic merit. Money does not buy you a good PhD you have to be accepted by the academic institution supervising it as well. If only it were that simple.....
Wednesday 30 July 2003 7.47am
All I wanted was for the council to take some ownership of the problem and communicate in an effective way to us what steps were being taken. The first I heard of this strike is through this website.

I work hard for my money and just wanted southwark to honour their part of the deal in justifying the council tax that makes such a dent on my salary.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.24am
Hi Dave

I couldn't agree more with you and my comments were not aimed at you at all (although perhaps I should have made that clearer). I was just annoyed at some of the childish comments made on the thread about the strike, binmen and free market. Hope all is well with you.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.28am
Money does not buy you a PhD, only hard work gets you one of those. However, our cash strapped Universities are happy to accept any old Tom Dick or Harry to do post graduate courses as the management time they take up is minimal, compared to the money that comes in from tuition fees.

I trust that your PhD is better argued than your posts here, and that it has a more rigorous academic basis.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.30am
Adele,

Thank you for that, appreciated.

David
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.39am
they do not accept anyone - not if you want to do a postgrad at a good university. also there is no funding available for postgrads in terms of tuition fees you have to get research funding from the government if you want financial support and that isn't a lot. Also postgrads take up a lot more supervision time than undergraduates so it is not cost-effective at all. If anything you should be moaning about the state financial support of undergraduates who do 'mickey mouse' degrees at 'mickey mouse' universities. sorry to sound like a daily mail reader but it is that which is draining money off the state.

I know you like to hurl personal insults about my messages but then what 'rigorous academic basis' were this and previous of your comments based on? sounds like the kettle calling the pot black to me....
Wednesday 30 July 2003 9.41am
Always suspected Mapmaker lived in a world without poetry. Sad, mate.
Wednesday 30 July 2003 2.02pm
Dave, asking the council to justify something wasting your time.

The hole on our estate roadway is getting deeper and bigger and the council interest in it is growing dull and boring. Now, if we lived in a nice leavy road, it wouldve been fixed by now.

How many council members live in Southwark? thats what I want to know? Do you Nick?
Wednesday 30 July 2003 2.07pm
I actually did the suspension on my MG Midget on Southwark craters - 500 quid down the drain (which I can't really afford)

Take a photo of it for evidence and I'll drive over it.....
Thursday 31 July 2003 11.15am
Of course I do. Deepest Bermondsey.

If y'all like I could start a separate thread explaining how the Council's budget works, what choices there are how much is prescribed by central gov't etc. Might be a bit anoraky though.

But can I just plug that this year's council tax increase was the lowest in London and that Southwark's Council tax is now lower than the London average?

Nick Stanton">Nick Stanton
Leader of Southwark Council
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions