London SE1 community website

Sentences...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Tuesday 20 March 2007 10.53pm
Sorry, have I stumbled onto the Daily Mail website by accident?

What a load of reactionary old rubbish I've read on this thread! What on earth has this to do with SE1? Does SE1 have a specific sentencing policy that differs from the rest of the country? Can't this be moved to "Chatter" where it belongs, or even better, can we have a separate forum for armchair home secretaries to devise a penal system that works?
Wednesday 21 March 2007 8.53am
Crime in SE1 and the punishment thereof was the origination of this thread.

You may not agree with the posters on this thread, but it is clear that this is a valid debate and, I would argue, that the majority of are not happy with the status quo.

I, for one, do not read the Daily Mail, but am concerned that criminals are not deterred from committing crime by the current system.

Stop throwing mud, Martin, and start contributing - the current version isn't working, so come up with an alternative.

Crime affects SE1 too, you know.

Loafer
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.26am
This is a very tricky one.
I don't like the idea of anyone killing in my name, mainly because I think if we kill the criminal, we are just as bad as they are.
I also agree with the previous poster who said that it could be dangerous with miscarriages of justice- look what happened to poor Sally Clark recently.
However, the thought of the public paying for people like Huntley and Ian Brady to be in prison for life is also galling.
And yet prison appears to be no deterrent to the people who are at this very moment patrolling parts of London, including SE1 armed with knives and guns and willing to kill just because someone 'disrespects' them. We have a record prison population in this country, with 2 new jails having to be built at enormous expense in the near future to house these people. The idea of it clearly isn't putting some people off.
I don't know what a solution could be, perhaps non-violent criminals could be given an alternative punishment to prison? I also agree with the previous comment regarding confiscating property, although I think you have to beware of punishing families of the criminals who may be completely innocent.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 9.36am
I think that community sentences, shaming sentences (like they have in the US) and transfer of property are the way forward and would relieve pressure on the creaking prison system.

Whilst I can see that a burglars family might be penalised by losing their car and TV, perhaps this might make it less likely people would become burglars due to family pressure, and material goods like this are not human rights (yet).

For the record, I oppose the death penalty for the reasons already eloquently explained by others.

Regards,

Loafer
Wednesday 21 March 2007 12.14pm
What is wrong with revenge? if someone deliberately hurts my family and without doubt can be held accountable I would personally like to exert the same in punishment. However if through age or infirmity can not do so and not having a Don Corleone in the family I expect the state penal system to act on my behalf.

Jailing drug addicts is not the answer, or council tax evaders is stupid. These gangs that tag everywhere on glass is criminal damage, I really really hate graffiti, but have seen some where it's obvious the person doing it had some sort of talent . The punishment should be to go under the small subway in new kent road/searles road and clean the poo infested gutters out then paint the whole subway.
Wednesday 21 March 2007 2.14pm
Jan the old one wrote:
What is wrong with revenge?

Where to start?!

Sir Francis Bacon on revenge

Following your reasoning the family of the person you have exacted revenge on has the right to take their own revenge on you. And so then you can stike back at them and so on and so forth...
Saturday 9 June 2007 1.08pm
Locking people up isnt always the best way to deal with a problem

I used to live in Amsterdam. Anyone who thinks the Dutch police are soft wants to see how they deal with drunk lads kicking off on a saturday night. No arrests, they just water cannon them and let them walk home wet.

Might sound a bit draconian but it sobers them up, doesnt take up police time and doesn't shove them through the system and label them as criminals.
Sunday 10 June 2007 11.25am
Is there any evidence about policing and crime? A few years ago I saw two teenagers leave a nearby flat through the window. I called 999 and they asked if the place was secure. I said no, and pointed out that a bedside light was on it's side on the bed with the shade loose, maybe a fire risk. They told me to call local police. I did. They asked if the place was secure and I said no. They said to call 999. This went back and forth 3 times till 999 said they'd come out to secure the flat. Later that night the occupants arrived home and I went round to let them know what I'd seen. They had called the police too. No police turned up at any point, and the next day they said no-one had called them, 999 or local.
Cars run red lights on Borough high street daily. I saw a man in a car shaking his head at the site of someone turning down a one-way street recently (I see this a lot). He was a policeman in his police car.
If I fancied burglary I know SE1 is the place to do it. We have no police.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions