London SE1 community website

Alcohol and entertainment license for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8
Monday 26 March 2007 11.21pm
1.The Scoop is the other side of City Hall and much further from Shad Thames and nowhere near any dwelling.

2. I have never seen alcohol served at Scoop events - could be wrong.

3. Those events finish way before the hours applied for in the license app.
Tuesday 27 March 2007 1.26am
I have seen pictures of a 2 storey restaurant next to tower bridge (on the Eastern Shad Thames side) - Not sure if the architects are Allies & Morrison or Eric Parry. Not sure if this is the proposed venue that is proposed as the designs have been hanging around for a couple of years.
Tuesday 27 March 2007 2.12am
Actually it was designed by Squire & Partners & according tothem has had planning permission since 2000
Tuesday 27 March 2007 10.13am
I have to say I don't like those strait paths through the park, It looks more like an efficient exit from More London than a park.
Monday 16 April 2007 12.22am
are we the only objectors to this?
doesn't anyone remember the 44 days and nights of blain hell?
oh god ...
Monday 16 April 2007 6.43am
Planning permission usually lasts 5 years. If granted in 2000 it would have had to have been renewed.

Late events, per se, are not necessarily bad. And in Central London you cant take a NIMBY approach. We live here because things happen, and so we have to accept the downside.

The need is to ensure that conditions are set, so that the Balance remains acceptable.

The hall opposite me, run by a charity, had an event license until 3.00am, and no one complained for years. Then suddenly they started holding 70 events a year, which were effectively unpoliced and with people spilling out onto the street. And the new licensing act was coming in which meant the end of annual renewals, and so the possibility that the building could be sold with its new license to a nightclub with 3.00am events 365 days of the year.

If Southwark Council dont answer their phone put your questions to a local councillor and ask him/her to forward it as a members enquiry.

Southwark Planning will have the planning history of the cafe. I am not sure if a 2000 application will be on line, though a later extension should be. This should give you details of the uses that are allowed for the site, and also any restrictions in those uses. (Eg to midnight only.)
Tuesday 17 April 2007 1.40pm
nimby my arse.
we fought the LDDC to get the extended park area which was the site of bonded warehouses running off pickled herring street to pickled herring stairs, then the only access to the river for locals. remember, until 1951, you could not walk down the riverbank on either side from charing cross bridge! it was all docks ...
we did not campaign for access to the riverfront and this park space to see it turned into a circus. it is public open space and not for exploitation.
at least 10 objections have been received with a conciliation meeting st georges day and a hearing in may.
Tuesday 17 April 2007 2.23pm
to be honest, maybe people are getting a bit reactionary here... Understand that any application for a late licence can cause worries, but from what I've heard from the park people, it's really just to cover their events plan - which will be focussed on summertime weekends, rather than every day or even every week.

I'd go along to the opening weekend events on 18/19 May to get an idea of what they're talking about - hopefully it'll allay some fears!
Tuesday 17 April 2007 3.15pm
Well, if not wanting even more drunks, litter and amplified music in a residential area late at night on summer weekends makes me a nimby reactionary, include me in. Also my sleeping children. Do I get council tax rebate?
Thursday 19 April 2007 12.17am
yeah, why be reactionary and exclusive, lets have the same licenses for tanner street and leathermarket gardens parks and st johns churchyard too! why should we have all the fun.
as for what the residual body from pool of london say, well all objectors to blaine were told reassuring things as well in 2003 before the 44 days and nights of hell ...
how many times do you have to say no?
what part of 'no' do't they understand?
we already share this park with hundreds of workers, thousands of visitors and are happy to welcome dozens complaining to ken ...
we don't need anyone else nor can the grass stand it!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 2 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions