London SE1 community website

Alcohol and entertainment license for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.25am
Some slight over-reactions here I think. No one is proposing a repeat of the Blaine fiasco.

In all likelihood it will benefit people like you and me who will be allowed to buy a civilised glass or two of wine or beer while enjoying whatever entertainment is put on. Much like at the excellent Scoop next door.

I doubt it will be like a permanent Glastonbury!
Thursday 19 April 2007 11.31am
I agree with Jonathan - if you're worried about noise effecting sleeping children etc. why do you live in central London?
Thursday 19 April 2007 1.22pm
Having lived part-time in SE1 (central London?) since 1993 I don't see the basis for your assertion. In the last few years I've also lived in residential areas near central NYC, The Hague and Houston. A change of environment to amplified music and late night open-air drinking would have been tolerated in none of those places. Potters Field is now a nice place to relax in the evening (if one ignores the litter and beggars by Tower Bridge). I have no problem with The Scoop since it's far away from dwellings. I'd be interested to know where you live, the "move out of the area if you don't like amplified noise at night in your home" crew.
Thursday 19 April 2007 4.17pm
"Late night open-air drinking" also happens outside Strada and Dim T at MoreLondon with no problems. Its very pleasant in fact.

Why do people suddenly think that Potters Field will all of a sudden be full of crusties injecting heroin into their eyeballs if it has a bit of the same?

I live in St Olaves, by the way, just behind what was the Elusive Camel.
Thursday 19 April 2007 4.34pm
Drinking at restaurants is peaceful, sociable and quite different behaviour from crowds of 100's or thousands at pop concerts. I'll say it once more then give up..the Scoop (where Dim T and Strada are) is nowhere near dwellings. You can hardly hear the sound from The Scoop when you walk right by it. The comparison with a marquee in Potters Field is spurious as you must know.
Thursday 19 April 2007 4.54pm
I haven't seen any indication of pop-concerts in marquees for 1000s to be held there. But maybe I'm mistaken, if so, I apologise.

Why are you so sure that what will happen in Potters Fields will be so terrible and not as sociable and civilsied as happens elsewhere in the vicinity?
Thursday 19 April 2007 5.41pm
The point is what is permitted by the license. Isn't that elementary?
Thursday 19 April 2007 6.24pm
Ie up to 5,000 people, live music till midnight, booze sales till 00.30. Potters Field is 30 yards from Tower Bridge Piazza and Shad Thames.
Friday 20 April 2007 12.22am
markadams99 wrote:
The point is what is permitted by the license. Isn't that elementary?

the application is for everything except bear baiting, really see here :

http://213.86.249.167/Licensing/LicenceAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=11174
Friday 20 April 2007 12.27am
Kathryn Grant wrote:
I agree with Jonathan - if you're worried about noise effecting sleeping children etc. why do you live in central London?

we live here because some of us were born here and unlike those stupid aspring middle class twats who buy out heathrow and then complain about the airport noise ... we want a say in how our neighbourhood is affected.

we were here first, we've seen the noise generated by many events in the park over the last 11 years, we know what happens, and we don't want it - what part of 'no' don't they understand?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 3 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions