London SE1 community website

Alcohol and entertainment license for Potters Fields Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Sunday 22 April 2007 1.53pm
You need to also watch out for conditions in terms of when, say, event equipment such as stages are delivered. I understand one of the problems living near Bernie Spain Gardens is that the equipment for the Thames Festival would arrive about 5am, then an all deay event , and then in the early hours it was packed up and lorries arrived to take it away.

You need proper provision for policing. (There are a number of examples of events in South London Parks which have come close to getting out of hand.) Plus someone needs to clear up the litter. Ideally though not dumping cans and bottles into metal containers at 4.00am - which was the worst point about living opposite a venue with a 3.00am licence. Ideally some plan to get people to move on after the event has finished, and so on.
Monday 23 April 2007 4.28pm
the con meeting (not my words - it's the name of the invitation .doc) today went well with a frank exchange of views.
it may be that the applicant will return to the licensing hearing, 4 may 10am at peckham town hall before three councillors, with some restrictions on use both the number of events, the number with alcohol and limiting affected areas in park.
as soon as i have something in writing or from the hearing i will relate.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 3.17pm
http://pottersfields.blogspot.com/

I have opened a Potters Field blog for a local residents' association and you will find info about yesterday's meeting there including a memo from the Southwark Noise Team.

http://pottersfields.blogspot.com/
Tuesday 1 May 2007 2.28pm
I received Southwark's package of info ahead of Friday's Licensing Committee meeting to determine the matter. The new info was the 10 letters of objection from local residents which I thought were rather impressive. It does occur to me that if the Leader of Southwark Council is on the board of Potters Fields Trust, how is that not a conflict of interest?
Tuesday 1 May 2007 3.35pm
Your blog is totally wonderful. So so funny.

Nothing really wrong about Council Leaders being on Boards. However the Committee must declare interests. You as an objector might seek to onfirm that the Committee will not be influenced by the Leaders position.

It is important that peope turn up and that at least one person is able to articulate reasonable views and concerns. The Committee if it is half-way competent (and no reason why it should not be) will want to achieve a Balance between diferent interests. So you might argue for limits and conditions in order to protect residents, who after all learnt the hard way with Blaine. Suggest they are, in the first instance, conservative, as if it all goes well residents are unlikely to object to subsequent lifting of restrictions.

It is a real objective of urban policy to encourage people to live in central London. But to achieve this Central London needs to be liveable.

They too do not want another Blaine.

Good luck,
Sarah
Tuesday 1 May 2007 4.49pm
Thankyou, for some reason it appeals to women called Sarah.
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/69911
Tuesday 1 May 2007 5.03pm
Ha,
I have not got my passwords sorted out, so have different personas in the office and at home. Today has been really odd as our office is very very warm and muggy, and so easy to be distracted by shags.

But it is brilliant.
Would they let you show these images at the Committee?

Sarah
Tuesday 1 May 2007 5.11pm
Yes, I find that distracting in the office.

It depends if there are any Sarahs on the Committee.
Wednesday 2 May 2007 9.10am
Potters Fields Trust last night issued new conditions which are discussed under 'Cakes and Ale' on http://pottersfields.blogspot.com/

Corporate events: max 25 per year till 1am

and

Cultural events: max 55 per year till 10.30pm
Thursday 3 May 2007 12.35pm
The 25 a year sounds alright till you see that it is a maximum of 12 a month. In reality you might end up with 3 late and 3 not so late events a week during June and July. Double whammy as late night events have the biggest impact on residents duing the summer months when they have windows open. One night without sleep is bad. Two in a row is much worse.

Also lots of devil is in the detail. Amount and timing of street cleaning. Parking. Equipment etc.

Given Blaine, where the Council got it very wrong, you might argue for a six month trial period (during summer) which would help both Council and residents identify what the problems are, and how best a long term licence might be qualified to ensure maximum benefits and minimum inconvenience for both operator and residents.

You dont like Nicks, Daves and Tonys. What about Tims? I assume Sarahs are OK.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions