London SE1 community website

Where is the best place to eat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Saturday 19 January 2002 9.15am
Has anyone tried RSJ in Coin Street? or The Loft in Lavington Street? Heard they might be good...
Saturday 19 January 2002 2.31pm
The Loft - very good food but a totally soulless restaurant.
Tuesday 22 January 2002 5.26pm
Let's go downmarket - price wise not food wise.
For the best fish and chips around Borough try Olleys in Great Suffolk Street. Traditional F&C restaurant, cooked to order when you sit down, and you'd be hard pressed to spend more than 10.00 on 3 courses. Totally unpretentious, open evenings, has wine list (red, white or beer) and you'll come out feeling comfortably full, both in body and purse.
Opposite is a cafe called Terry's which actually serves vegetables cooked normally, with wonderful food like toad in the hole. Always full, only open weekdays to about 3.00pm but well worth a visit.
Now back to the expensive ones..................
Tuesday 22 January 2002 6.25pm
I often stay at Travel Inn in the County Hall with my 2 children aged 9 and 12.I was pleasantly surprised at the good quality food in the restaurant there and reasonable priced too.There was a children's menu that the kids thoroughly enjoyed - afterwhich, they asked if they could go back to the room to watch TV.This meant that we could enjoy the remainder of our meal, child-free,yet with the kids relatively nearby in the same building.
The many coffee shops in Gabriel's Wharf are excellent, after a pleasant riverside walk, as is the Gourmet Pizza Company in the same area.
Tuesday 22 January 2002 8.51pm
I have been watching this site with interest over the last few weeks as I am the manager of the Leather Exchange pub it's great to know people are enjoying the food (mostly).
I just thought I would send a quick reply regarding the Sunday lunches, we tried opening on weekends about 12 months ago and just did not have sufficient demand to continue. As someone rightly pointed out most of our customers are at present business people who are only in the area from Monday to Friday. We are going to try again as of Feb 11th hopefully we will busy and we will extend to open all weekend in the near future. Currently there seems to be a bit of a catch 22 in the area where people go out further afield at weekends because nothing is open and none of the businesses open because nobody is around.
We are hoping for the support of the locals.
Tuesday 22 January 2002 10.00pm
Best place to eat?

For good quality inexpensive home-cooked food it has to be Rose's cafe on Bermondsey Street. Great breakfasts - I particularly recommend the special breakfast with its serving of bubble and squeak. You can get a good breakfast or lunch for no more than a fiver.
liz
Thursday 24 January 2002 6.23pm
talking of fish and chip shops, has anyone been to either of the two on long lane?
Saturday 26 January 2002 12.41pm
Kate,

From the messages from locals who rave about the Leather Exchange, I will certainly be happy to support the pub by going at the weekend, As you rightly pointed out, there aren't enough good places to eat and drink during the weekend. And it is only from lack of choice that we sometimes have to go out of the area. If you lead the way, I am sure that others would follow and you'll find yourself with a very loyal and supportive customer base.
Saturday 26 January 2002 12.43pm
The Shahi Tandoori on Grange Rd does an awesome king prawn bhunas. Can't vouch for the meat dishes, but the king prawns really are majestic!
Saturday 26 January 2002 9.44pm
Cheap...
Maries Cafe in Lower Marsh does a splendid Thai curry with rice for 3.20 at lunch. Tiny and packed. The Japanese resturant halfway down Lower March may do the cheapest sushi set lunches in London and is very relaxed. Friends also recommend the Dumpling Inn on Baylis Rd for Chinese. And TAS for Sunday lunch, or anytime. They are really nice to kids.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions