London SE1 community website

Where is the best place to eat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Jayne
Monday 28 January 2002 10.06am
L'Arancia is still doing business and well worth a visit. We went on sunday for a chill out brunch.
Wednesday 30 January 2002 6.57pm
Sino Thai in Lower Marsh has got lovely food and the restaurant is really nice. Prices are also affordable. I really recommend it! The Indian restaurant round the corner is also nice, in Westminster Bridge approach.
Monday 4 February 2002 9.49am
SE1 is definitely a great place to eat. To all of those out there who are forever looking for places to eat the Pool of London has a full restaurant listing (www.pooloflondon.co.uk).

James Hatts - please feel free to take the information to add to your restaurant database, and let me know of any new ones that aren't on there.

Best places I've eaten at in the Pool of London have got to be Suchard (Thai on Tooley St) - excellent value for very tasty food. It's not BYO anymore though, they got licensed late last year. Also, totally agree that Olley's is a great fish and chip place.

Bunch of Grapes pub (St Thomas St) and Hitchcocks pub (near L.Bridge Station) are also good for pub grub.

For decent take-away food at lunchtimes, the string of places down Borough High St are always reliable.

Usha
Wednesday 6 February 2002 10.46pm
the noodle house in elephant and castle and castelo pizza are two of the best places to eat in se1. the food is good value for money and at the noodle house the portions are simply huge.
christian
Thursday 14 February 2002 11.51am
1. The Leather Market (great that its opening at weekends)
2. Aranchia - great italian food
3. Borough cafe - the best bubble and squeak on the planet
Monday 11 March 2002 4.05pm
Hello,

I live in the Tabard Garden Estate and it is a very good place to live. The nearest chip shop to me is very close to the pelican crossing between Pardoner St and Weston St. Very good food, I recommend it.

I also recomend the South American place near Borough tube. But I think it may be closed now. Shame !
Lu
Tuesday 26 March 2002 6.09pm
Fina Estampa or Champor Champor for a group - which would be more fun?
Tuesday 2 April 2002 11.51am
How about sandwiches for lunch? any good sandwich shop in SE1?

Melissa
Tuesday 2 April 2002 12.24pm
De Gustibus is expensive but very good (by Borough Market on the high road). Konditor & Cook (also be Borough Market - nearer Vinopolis and Fen Sushi) is also very good.
Saturday 6 April 2002 10.17pm
Olley's for a cheap fish supper
The chinese on borough high street - very cheap and friendly, ideal when you fall out of The George with a sudden and urgent need to eat
the balti house - corner of borough high street and harper road. again very cheap and usually rather strangely empty.
fish - in borough market, brilliant.
livebait in the cut - expensive but exquisite food, good for a special treat.
if you need something while at the elephant there's a really friendly cafe upstairs, by the steps. plates of mixed indian spicy things with rice - good value.
but for me the most consistently good and reasonably priced is still Castello's at Elephant. also do takeaway.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions