London SE1 community website

City Hall litter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Tuesday 10 April 2007 6.38am
I've often thought of asking the beggars in the E&C underpasses to clean up the rubbish there and then I WOULD give them some change.
PKM
Tuesday 10 April 2007 9.51am
Its always a problem on bank holidays because there seems to be no collection. Also, the bins are way too small to cope with the traffic. I've also noticed that people tend to use certain bins (which get overfull) while others remain empty.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 10.50am
My household rubbish was collected yesterday as usual (unless there's somebody stealing black bags from bin cupboards). I must admit I was surprised.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 11.38am
An interesting contrast is with the Royal Parks. In St James's Park or Hyde Park on a bank holiday weekend, the cleaning staff are regularly emptying bins and cleaning up.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 11.41am
Aren't those parks the province of Westminster Council? They're frequently reviled, but I lived in Westminster for 10 years and liked the low council tax and the generally professional service. For instance, I once found a mattress dumped on my doorstep, rang the council, and some council operatives came along in a van and took it away twenty minutes later.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 11.54am
The Royal Parks are maintained by.... The Royal Parks.

http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/
Tuesday 10 April 2007 3.08pm
Please don't just complain about this on here. Write to Southwark - it's their responsibility (not Ken Livingstone's just because it happens to be next to his building). I've been trying to get something done about weekend and bank holiday litter on the river walkway for years but they always say they “cannot afford to have a member of staff permanently there, the twice a day cleanse is the best that can be done”. And this is despite the fact that this is when the area is at its busiest! But the more people who write, the more likely we are to get Southwark to just damn well find a solution - even a simple one like providing extra litter bins, which someone in this forum has already sensibly suggested.

The guy at Southwark I've been communicating with does at least have an obliging attitude and seems to want to find a solution. So please write to him! Send him the photos even. He's at: Colin.Palmer@southwark.gov.uk
Tuesday 10 April 2007 3.13pm
I have already written to Southwark copying in Pool of London, the Mayor and More London, and would urge others to do the same.
zee
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.09pm
I found Southwark Council is brilliant at cleaning the streets. They were even cleaning on Easter Sunday. If there is a problem they sort it very quickly when you tell them. Their website is easy to use to report problems on.

City Hall at weekends is another matter as they have private cleaners who do not seem to be there when Ken is not there.No one empties the bins at weekends and bank holidays.It is always a mess then as the rubbish blows around. On working days it is all well looked after.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.11pm
Shadlad: I will forward the link to this thread to the public servant in question. You are quite wrong about how to get things done. Public embarrassment on fora like this is far more effective than file-under-futile one on ones. I shall also forward the thread to the Evening Standard.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions