London SE1 community website

City Hall litter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.21pm
Email sent:

Quote:
Please view this thread http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/68553/page=1 and the disgraceful images attached and let me know how you propose to solve this national embarrassment for which I'm told Southwark is responsible.
It is not the case that this is a specifically Bank Holiday phenomenon.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.33pm
You could also try the London Bridge BID, as they collect extra business rates from all the businesses around here (not just City Hall!) to tackle anything which may be a detriment to the area... http://www.londonbridgebid.co.uk/default.aspx?m=1&mi=41&ms=0
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.41pm
So much litter, so many email addresses. God, if Livingstone were a real Mayor instead of a PC commissar this would have been fixed years ago.
Tuesday 10 April 2007 4.43pm
Shadlad, maybe this reply from your contact at Southwark explains why nothing gets done:
Quote:
Dear Mark
The area you show is not adopted public highway maintained by southwark council but is the responsibility of London Bridge City
I do not have their contact details but im sure if you contact Helen Moore at London Bridge Business Improvement District ( 0207 407 4701 - E mail helen@londonbridgebid.co.uk) she will be able to give you their contact details

Regards

Colin Palmer
Monday 16 April 2007 10.52am
Update: I got no replies from More London or The Mayor. Helen Moore at London Bridge Business Improvement District put me in touch with Peter Cornford at Potters' Field Park Trust. He was most constructive and sympathetic, a pleasure to deal with, BUT this morning I took plenty of shots of overflowing litter round most bins in PF at 7.30am. The More London bins were clear. Today is a normal Monday, no BH w/end, no events, no alcohol. What will the holidays look like? Why should PF Trust get an alcohol and entertainment license when they can't get something elementary like this right. I don't apologize for banging on about this. This is one of the most visually fascinating urban sites in the world and its shoddy state after a year to plan, betrays incompetence and a lack of shame. Again this is not aimed at Peter Cornford of PF Trust who is one of the good guys wrestling with multi tentacled interests and apathy. The Mayor should be the guardian of London's reputation and bang heads together to get this fixed when he can take time off from brown-nosing Latin American tyrants and terrorist fellow travellers.
Friday 20 April 2007 7.37pm
Altho More London didn't reply, they have taken action - they've removed their bins !
Tuesday 6 May 2008 7.23am
The last few days Potters Fields has been rife with visitors and media from round the world covering the election. Too bad about the trashy image of London it presented over the weekend. It is Potters Fields Trust's job proactively to avert the damage to London inflicted by poor litter management at this world-class site. Pix available from this morning. It's not as bad as a year ago, but unacceptable.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 7.55am
we told you so
getting our park off southwark's books was always doomed to failure.
the 'trust' has now received our trust fund but none of the commercial trustees pay anything towards upkeep.
it was foolish to think that the trust could be sustained from funds generated by hiring out the park - the numbers who use it require proper funding from southwark AND a levy on the rich bastards in the offices that now block our view, after all it is an amenity for their workers and the user pays principle should apply to all.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 8.23am
Kindly ditch the communist propaganda. The issue is litter management in the context of London presenting itself to the world. I'm sure the service is paid for but inadequately performed or overseen at peak times. London BID should be more engaged and a voluntary involvement from the More London firms would be apt. Amano, Starbucks et al have a clear responsibility and LBID should perhaps co-ordinate a solution.

It's a problem of the success of Potters Fields.
Sunday 11 May 2008 4.58pm
On a lovely sunny Sunday partner and self took ourselves off to Potters Field to soak up the sun and enjoy a delightful picnic lunch. What we came across was a filthy mess as litter was strewn everywhere emptying out of overflowing bins. Furthermore broken bottles made it not only unpleasant but dangerous.
Who is responsible for keeping that area clean?? The bins are marked Pool of London. I assumed it was the responsibility of Southwark Council.
I have pictures. How can i put them on here??
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions