London SE1 community website

City Hall litter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Monday 12 May 2008 9.04am
I take the point that there is a case for a wider campaign. It's not just Potters Fields Park though, it's Jubilee Gardens too. The latter has a lot in common with the former (small, overcrowded riverside green space next to a major London landmark).

I took some similar pictures of overflowing bins in Jubilee Gardens last summer intending to run a news piece.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 May 2008 9.09am
I was waiting in my car for my husband who was in our beloved Dockhead Post Office. Two boys around 10 years old came out of the shop with snack bars which they unwrapped and threw down the wrappers on the street. I got out of the car and told them to pick them up and put them in the bin. The torrent of verbal abuse I got was unbelievable, and I felt so intimidated that I had to lock myself in the car.
As for Tower Bridge Piazza and Shad Thames, things have definitely gone down hill. The restaurants don't seem to pressure wash the pavements as often. There are cigarette ends and gum all over the place. All the paving slabs are broken and the whole area is just a squalid mess. God knows what the tourists think. There is quite often a lot of litter too which I assume is blowing in from Potters Fields.
Monday 12 May 2008 9.55am
there was no collection at all saturday and therefore the bins were full at the start of sunday.
welcome to the brave new world of privatisation!
the contractors should be sacked or at least made to pay back their illgotten gains ...
update - because their vehicle was broken into in the yard friday night, the poor workers were too traumatised to collect trash saturday.
a hire vehicle out of the question then?
Monday 12 May 2008 2.39pm
After a walk in the area last nigh my partner and I were similarly angry to see the squalid mess, and we were going to raise it here. I had not picked up this thread sooner, so thanks to all for their cotributions, which are far more expressive than mine.

This thread explains the complexity of the management of the area, and therefore the ease of discarding responsibility. Clearly people are willing, on the whole, to use the bins. So it is just a matter of empting them. Why is that so complicated? Surely if any one of the organisations involved had seen it they could have done something about it.

Hopefully this lesson has been learned early enough in the season to ensure effecitve remedial action. All should be called to account and local residents need to be assured that this disgraceful dereliction of responsibility is never repeated.
mro
Monday 12 May 2008 7.28pm
worth a national campaign?
if only the UK did not have more pressing problems...

Also, as far as I'm concerned I'd like to see this tackled as a matter of lowest priority compared to cleaning the streets where normal people (like me) live. People are fly tipping everywhere in Southwark and Tower Bridge road near the much less sexy Bricklayer's Arms junction is absolutely disgusting. I understand tourists don't venture often here, but they don't pay taxes. I do.
Monday 12 May 2008 8.33pm
Millions of normal and abnormal people frequent Tower Bridge/City Hall. If someone comes to my country I don't check whether he's a taxpayer before treating him decently. Moreover tourists pay plenty in UK tax, so even by your mean measure they should be welcomed with other than towers of trash around our national symbols.
Monday 12 May 2008 8.48pm
it is the highest priority. the environment around national monuments sends a message to the entire world about the sort of people we are.
mro
Tuesday 13 May 2008 5.08am
the focus on the environment only around national monuments sends indeed a message, which was my point from the start.

And markadams99, I think you're also trying very hard to fail to see my point: would you be happy if the UK was a giant dumpster and only the few places visited by tourists were clean and tidy? Let me use another analogy: do you keep two bathrooms at home, a clean one for your guests (who are welcomed) and a filthy one that you'd rather have them not see?

The highest priority should be clean streets everywhere and tidy tourist spots as a consequence.
mro
Tuesday 13 May 2008 5.08am
the focus on the environment only around national monuments sends indeed a message, which was my point from the start.

And markadams99, I think you're also trying very hard to fail to see my point: would you be happy if the UK was a giant dumpster and only the few places visited by tourists were clean and tidy? Let me use another analogy: do you keep two bathrooms at home, a clean one for your guests (who are welcomed) and a filthy one that you'd rather have them not see?

The highest priority should be clean streets everywhere and tidy tourist spots as a consequence.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 7.52am
mro wrote:
I'd like to see this tackled as a matter of lowest priority compared to cleaning the streets where normal people (like me) live.

mro wrote:
markadams99, I think you're also trying very hard to fail to see my point

You're right. I am missing your point.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions