London SE1 community website

City Hall litter

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
Tuesday 13 May 2008 8.50am
mro wrote:
worth a national campaign?
if only the UK did not have more pressing problems...

Also, as far as I'm concerned I'd like to see this tackled as a matter of lowest priority compared to cleaning the streets where normal people (like me) live. People are fly tipping everywhere in Southwark and Tower Bridge road near the much less sexy Bricklayer's Arms junction is absolutely disgusting. I understand tourists don't venture often here, but they don't pay taxes. I do.

I think the state of the park next to Tower Bridge, the iconic image of London and even the UK should be a matter of priority.

I'm a one of the 'normal people' too, living in a council block very close to the park. We don't have gardens or balconies so why should one of our very few green public spaces be allowed to be in such a state? Plus, looking after Potters Fields properly doesn't detract from keeping the rest of borough tidy!
ADT
Tuesday 13 May 2008 12.49pm
mro wrote:
Also, as far as I'm concerned I'd like to see this tackled as a matter of lowest priority compared to cleaning the streets where normal people (like me) live. People are fly tipping everywhere in Southwark and Tower Bridge road near the much less sexy Bricklayer's Arms junction is absolutely disgusting. I understand tourists don't venture often here, but they don't pay taxes. I do.

I also live nr Bricklayer's Arms, and I find TBR to be pretty good for tidiness - definitely better than Potters Fields Park after a sunny weekend.

One small point to make on the side of the rubbish collectors - the volume of rubbish generated in a park like this will vary greatly with the weather. I expect that it is hard to efficiently schedule rubbish collection frequency to follow the weather. This weekend I passed through St James' Park and there were similarly full & overflowing bins, due to the volume of people out eating/drinking etc in the park. One solution would be to have the system set up to assume the worst, but then you'd have more collections than were necessary most of the time, with accompanying unnecessary expense. I'm not saying that it is an insoluble problem, just that it is probably hard to Balance all the issues.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 1.02pm
This is a fair point, ADT (and I agree about TBR) but yesterday evening walking through Guy Street Park the bin there was overflowing. Likewise they often are outisde the London Dungeon. This is not an issue that has suddenly emerged and everyone's bin (sic)caught out. There appears to be a system failure. Has anyone from Southwark commented on this yet?
Sunday 1 June 2008 10.38pm
I've just come back from my usual late night walk and noted that city hall tonight is litter free.Having spent a big part of the day at Cruise aids walk for life I was very impressed with how the event was managed in terms of litter patrols.Especially considering there was food and alchohol stalls.A great event allround.
Monday 2 June 2008 10.10pm
Yes, Nigel - the Crusaid Walk for Life was superbly managed, not only in Potters Field but all the 10k route [which I walked and raised money for].

It's such a shame that it looks so tacky around City Hall so much of the time - mind you, the building itself always looks as if it could do with a damned good polish!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions