London SE1 community website

SE1's nicest squares

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 12 April 2007 8.56pm
Thorburn Square and surrounding areas are already a conservation area, I think.

Admittedly not pretty anymore it is a lovely friendly square.
Thursday 12 April 2007 10.05pm
friendliness rating - off the scale
prettiness rating - only its mother would love it!

you are right about the conservation area status but its soon to be a sooper dooper conservation area. advice from council - get all your diy improvements done quickly, for tomorrow you will have to fit in with the conservation code
Thursday 12 April 2007 10.18pm
Ah, Thorburn Square, what a beauty it would have been before the 60s... Still, it has a nice atmosphere and the church is very attractive. Do you have a link to information about the change in status of the conservation area? I'm on Alma Grove and am thinking about doing some work.
Friday 13 April 2007 3.29pm
They already are a conservation area, and have been for the past few years. It's called the Thorburn Square Conservation Area; which I live within. It covers Alma Grove, Fort Road, Reverdy Road and part of Balaclava Road. If you're interested, one can get a copy of the details from Southwark council which details notes about the area and what they're trying to conserve.
Friday 13 April 2007 3.45pm
Trinty Square without doubt
Friday 13 April 2007 5.12pm
carmenes82 wrote:
Ah, Thorburn Square, what a beauty it would have been before the 60s...

Here are two pictures of Thorburn Square before the redevlopment.

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/bermondsey/thorburn-square-1963-02.htm

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/bermondsey/thorburn-square-1963-01.htm
Friday 13 April 2007 6.42pm
Not exactly sure re the conservation area - maybe they are just extending it to Longley street (my street). I will check with Mr.

On another note - is the rumour true that there is an alma grove house on sale for 435k?

ps Hope your trees survive the pollarding - do they grow their leaves back in the same season or do you have to wait till the next year?
Friday 13 April 2007 6.51pm
JimG -

There is a house for sale on Alma Grove for 450k, which JGarcia mentioned in another thread. I have spoken to Foxtons and it is under offer, but I haven't yet managed to find out what price it achieved. There is also a house on Fort Road on at 420k, which needs complete refurbishment.

IMHO these prices are fair give the comparable price of square footage in other buildings around the area. It wouldn't surprise me to see the 495kish level achieved soon either.

Chris
Friday 13 April 2007 10.15pm
Carmenes - thanks! I agree with you re value for money - i was looking for a 1-2 bed in long lane area and then bought a 3bed victorian with 60 foot garden for less money...
Friday 13 April 2007 10.27pm
JimG wrote:
Carmenes - thanks! I agree with you re value for money - i was looking for a 1-2 bed in long lane area and then bought a 3bed victorian with 60 foot garden for less money...

Me too! Although I was actually looking in the Alaska Buildings and around Grange Road to start with.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions