London SE1 community website

SE1's nicest squares

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 13 April 2007 11.48pm
Have now asked mister. Dont really understand his response about the conservation area but have seen document called 'Draft Thorburn Square Conservation Area Appraisal Document'. It basically seems to just talk about everything must be sympathetic to the victorian aesthetic. And definetly no loft extensions.

Cant believe how beautiful thorburn square was though, prior to 68. However, realistically would not have been able to afford to live here if everthing was visually intact.
Saturday 14 April 2007 8.06pm
I live in Peabody Square, Blackfriars Road - steeped in history, Grade II listed and massive grounds - you would never find any developments like this in the last millenium!!

Jenny
Sunday 15 April 2007 12.35pm
I love the squares to the west of the Oxo Tower, bordered by Upper Ground / Broadwall / Duchy Street.

http://tinyurl.com/2njngp

The green spaces around there are absolutely beautiful! Plus, you've got the river nearby and some excellent views.

It's wonderful there in summer and incredibly relaxing.
Sunday 15 April 2007 1.44pm
So close to perfection, but only one thing missing: If only your squares were not accessible to the public.
(Say it, you cowards!)
Sunday 15 April 2007 4.58pm
martinr wrote:
carmenes82 wrote:
Ah, Thorburn Square, what a beauty it would have been before the 60s...

Here are two pictures of Thorburn Square before the redevlopment.

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/bermondsey/thorburn-square-1963-02.htm

http://www.ideal-homes.org.uk/southwark/bermondsey/thorburn-square-1963-01.htm

Thanks for the link, V. interesting pics & info. Some of the Squares only just outside the SE1 area are pretty, Cleaver, Walcott & West spring to mind.
Sunday 15 April 2007 6.20pm
my vote goes for Nelson Square,
Sunday 15 April 2007 7.58pm
It's not exactly a square and it's not exactly beautiful - yet. But Falcon Point Piazza (how posh) and the surrounding space will, I hope, be wonderful in the years to come when Tate Modern develop the old paper mill site at 44 Hopton St. A sculpture park would be nice, guys. Also, it will spread over to the new bit of Tate Modern, the one with all angled glass, and from there over to the back of the museum. All in all, it ought to be the most pleasant 'urban realm' to use the argot.
Monday 16 April 2007 11.49am
It breaks my heart seeing how beautiful Thorburn Square was before it was vandalised.

New conservation area planning will include a wider area (for example it should incorporate the old Bacon's School building at corner of Grange Road) and should contain an article 4 statement (I hope) which will stipulate what can and can't be altered. eg No UPVC windows!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions