London SE1 community website

Water damage repair

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 16 April 2007 1.19pm
Hi all,

Our flat has some water damage due to a leak from the flat above us. I'm not sure what type of builder we should call. Is a plasterer the man to call or a general builder can do the job. I'd appreciate your thoughts!

Monday 16 April 2007 2.41pm
I had this problem once in a flat I used to live in. A painter and decorartor smoothed out the damage to the plaster and repaired it, then painted over the whole ceiling. However beware, there is no point getting it done before the damaged area has totally dried out otherwise dampness will just come through the new plaster/paint again to some extent. This was what happened to me - it was a concrete ceiling and concrete takes about 6 months to dry out fully, in my experience.
Monday 16 April 2007 3.18pm
We've had similar prob's. We've also had leaks from our flat into the flat below.

My tip would be to make double sure that the flat above have got the leak fixed. We were leaking into the flat below and we got some plumbers round to fix the leak. They were sure the leak had been fixed, but they were wrong. The work they did fixed MOST OF the leak, but not all of it, so the folks downstairs needed to wait until it was all fixed before getting their redecoration sorted.

We had a similar thing re leaks from the flat above into ours. What I think I learned was that in modern flats the floors are slabs of concrete and that a leak in one place in my ceiling probably doesn't come from directly above. It probably just means that the spot where we see the leak corresponds to a join in the slabs above us. The actual leak could be from elsewhere, but it will only leak down at a point where the slabs join.


...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 April 2007 6.58pm
It rather depends how bad the damage is and what sort of ceiling you have. If it's plasterboard it's probably got to be renewed. If it's plaster it will have to dry out and possibly skimmed before painting.
Tuesday 17 April 2007 9.27am
Thanks so much! I think waiting till it dries fully is best then we can get someone to estimate the cost of repair.
Tuesday 5 June 2007 11.28am
Dear Vanessa,

I have to admit that I do not know how the repair work is done in UK, as I am writing this message from Finland.
Anyway I think there should be found several companies in UK specialized to water damage removal, and especially for drying these wetted structures.
I do know that here in Finland the technical level is a bit more higher by different drying equipments than maybe in UK, as a lot of different device types are invented and produced here in Finland.
I also have to admit that I am writing this message because our company itself has been a pioneer on this field for several years, and we manufacture effective drying devices designed for drying wetted concrete and tile structures in floors, ceilings and walls. These devices can be plased directly on the wetted area, and this way all used energy is directed to the wetted area and the structure can be dried even in only few days or in few weeks at most. The method is completely safe.
I know that this does not help You directly, but I hope that You can find a suitable company doing the drying work, and You will get the repairs done much more quicklier and also there is danger that moisture is left inside the structure causing any mold damages later on.


Tommi Arpomaa
Finnem Oy (company name)
Friday 18 September 2009 9.55am
Hey can someone tell me how much this cost to repair the water damamge to the ceiling?
Friday 2 October 2009 11.05am
Hi all,

I have had a similar leak from the flat upstairs , it damaged my walls and wooden floor. I called my insurance and they told me to find 2 companies to give me quotes to do the repair work. I managed to find a couple of companies in the London area, Thames Flood Restoration was the one that ended up doing the work for me, they did a fine job, first of all they dried out the property then did the renovation & decoration and now everything looks like it never happened.

Hope this has helped you,

Simon Rose.
Friday 2 October 2009 12.54pm
My friend used a small company for her work after she had a flood and she said they were wonderful, I'll ask her for their number tonight.
Monday 5 October 2009 11.45am
Hi all,

I forgot to mention the contact details for the company I mentioned who did the work for me. The website address is and the phone number is 02030266007.

Again as I said before, hope this helps.

Simon Rose.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions