London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Thursday 19 April 2007 3.09pm
longlaner...keeping them is, as you say, subject to regulations and I think you have a good case for going to the police and asking them if these lads have licenses or whatever they need - 100-1 they havent.
Thursday 19 April 2007 3.14pm
longlaner wrote:
My saying "There seem to be a lot of aggressive dogs around" is hardly going to get them very interested, don't you think?
Indeed so.

But it's the sort of low-level thing that Safer Neighbourhoods teams are supposed to address. No harm sending an email to the Grange ward officers at SouthwarkGrange.snt@met.police.uk explaining that you've noticed this in the St Thomas' Street area and have been concerned by it.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 19 April 2007 6.50pm
I think James' suggestion is an excellent one, and you could also email the dog warden in Southwark, as it's their responsibility to take an active role in the DDA.

However, it's important to remember that it's about how individual dogs act, (and mainly about their owners), not about a breed of dog. Sadly, many owners think that having a dog makes them hard. As a dog owner it's very distressing to deal with this type of owner.

We should take a zero tolerance approach to animal cruelty, and report it when we see it, so action is taken.
Thursday 19 April 2007 10.20pm
Having been a volunteer at BDH I know that the staff/pitbull terriers are in the top 2 of their 'inmates' as enthusiastic owners quickly realise that they cannot control an animal that through breeding is volatile, nervous and very unpredictable. Being in a 5x4 kennel with one of them is scary even as an experienced handler and i therefore give them a wide berth on the street. sadly, from experience of my one small street in SE1, i can see they are increasingly the latest 'must have' status symbol.
Thursday 19 April 2007 11.54pm
Much that I love dogs I feel uneasy when I see a pitbull or bull terrier. I honestly don't know the difference between them. Don't they have locked jaws which is why they are dangerous? There were some boys playing hard on these dogs by Snowsfield School (next to Leathermarket Gardens). They made the dogs over excited. The dogs were not muzzled and the owners struggled to keep them away from passerby. I was quite shaken whilst the other boy just laughed and made racist remarks at me. Thank god it was a school holiday and no children were around.
Friday 20 April 2007 8.48am
It's supposedly a myth that the jaws lock, but these breeds are certainly very volatile. I'm interested that other people have noticed a surge in popularity. I'll flag the matter up as James helpfully suggested.
Friday 20 April 2007 8.27pm
I am absolutely in agreement that dogowners should (be able to) control their dogs, should register them as required by law and should treat them appropriately.

On the other hand, I doubt they're going to be a problem to you. Far and away the majority of dogs attacking people are owned by people known to the victim. In the small-girl-in-pub example above, the dog belonged to the victim's (grand?)parents, iirc.

I abhor animal cruelty, and despise the thought of dog fighting more than probably you can imagine. On the other hand, you don't KNOW that these dogs are used for fighting, and even if they are it doesn't affect you.

Relax. It will keep your blood pressure down and you will therefore live longer.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 2.04pm
i have to jump in here as the very proud owner of 2 staffordshire bull terriers.
to start there is no breed called "pitbull"
it is a term typically used to group 3 breeds of dog
the staffordshire bull terrier
the american pitbull terrier
the american staffordshire terrier
often dogs that attack are identified as pitbulls when in fact they are not
it seems any dog of medium build and short hair is is thought to be a "pitbull"
there are 25+ breeds commonly incorrectly identified as "pitbulls"
the worse part of this id problem is that the initial attack has front page coverage with "pitbulls" all over it
then several days later when they properly id the dog as a mixed breed or another breed altogether the story is a line or 2 on page 30...buried.
e.g
kansas city,mo 6th march 06.
headlines on a news report
"pitbull attacks 12 year old"
however the dog captured was not a "pitbull" nor pitbull mix. after hundreds of complaints to the station what did they do?? they removed the pic of the dog and left it as a pitbull attacks story..
if you crossed a labrador with a staffie it is classed as pit type..
some idiots think if they cross a mastiff with a rotty it makes a pitbull sooo wrong
an american pitbull terrier is a recognized breed in the u.s kennel club..its not the dogs that should be targeted its the idiots that use and abuse this breed as an extention of their manhoods..take away their pitties and they are nothing..all bully breeds are the most mistreated and misunderstood breeds..and no their jaws do not lock no more than any other breed..education is the key here..
please watch this
denver ban {educational}
can you spot the "pitbull" here??
spot the pit bull
pitbull myths
pitbull myths
did you know that in temperament tests the staffie, american pitbull, american staff, & english bull terrier rate higher than the collie the golden retriver and cocker spanial,
all popular breeds for families, hmmm.
ignorence is not bliss..dont punish the wrong end of the lead..if you clicked your fingers and all the "pitbulls" were gone there would still be a people problem, with the thugs moving on to other breeds..take your pick. alsations, dobermans rottys any large breed in fact..your dog could be next.
thank you for your time, if you need to know anything please ask..
xxxx
Tuesday 24 April 2007 5.32pm
I think the key point here is "Don't punish the wrong end of the lead". My real problem is with inept, negligent and inconsiderate owners who fail to control their dogs and give them the affection and exercise they need. My impression that some of the dogs in question have been bought as fashion accessories rather than genuine long-term pets.

As far as relaxing and not letting my blood pressure go up is concerned, this advice could be offered in response to almost any of the posts on this forum. Posting here is actually a good way of channelling and palliating my concerns, rather than a way of working myself up into a lather.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 8.12pm
I am working with an agoraphobic patient at the moment - part of the problem is that she lives in a cul de sac and has to walk past a poorly controlled dog (no idea of the breed) that has already attacked and bitten her arm.

Anyways my question is: is there any legal or semi-legal spray that you can defend yourself with when confronted by a snarling nasty. Perfume? Pepper spray (is that legal here?). What about arming oneself with one of those air horns? would that deter an only partially aggressive dog that senses fear in my poor patient and goes on the offensive??

ps the owners are more of the 'but she is a lovely family pet, i dont know what came over her' rather than: I dont have any secondary male sexual characteristics and therefore need to have a large threatening beast
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions