London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Tuesday 24 April 2007 8.55pm
Jim - I'm not sure that getting a 'mouse' (your patient) to tweak the tail of a 'cat' is going to change the bully/victim relationship.

Dogs have a sense of smell many tens/hundreds of times more sensitive than ours. Imagine the difference between somebody scratching your leg and scratching your gum. Ouch. Try the police? Surely this is the sort of low level misdemeanour that James Hatts suggests the police would address.
Tuesday 24 April 2007 10.43pm
I know what you are saying but bullies often respond to displays of power. If the sense of smell is so developed then surely something non-toxic but extremely unpleasant would work? Funnily enough the 'mouse' is someone who is quite able to face down local dealers/pimps... ps this is not a local situation and I am not breaking any confidentiality within the se1 area..
Wednesday 25 April 2007 9.12am
That's all very well staffilover - but staffies WERE bred to fight. Those jaws are not for chewing daisies- as those horrific images show. I agree it's the owners who need watching. But the dogs themselves are not always the angels you paint them to be - and that's where the anxiety kicks in, especially among people who don't know the nice side of these dogs.

Friends have a staffie they love and, 99 per cent of the time, she is fine. But twice now she has given young kids a couple of nips, for no reason, and scares the living daylights out of them. They won't go back. That's the owners' fault.

My dad, who was in a police dog squad and knew how to handle them, had an Alsatian as a pet who turned on him and ripped his arm to shreds. That was the dog's fault.

Anecdotal, I know. But not that isolated.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 12.14pm
most vicous dog i have ever know was a border collie, he bit his owner, the family,friends any one he felt like, he attacked my friends daughter and scarred her for life.she looked like a road traffic victim..he pleaded guilty before he went into court, the photos were not shown to the court. the rotten thing was his unpredictably, you could be stroking him gently, then he would go always for the face or hands. his owner would muzzel him, then take it off because he felt sorry for him! he would not have him castrated either.
the dog had loads of space to run free 17 acres in fact.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 3.06pm
firstly i'm not saying there arnt any viscious bull terriers the same as there are viscious collies, labradors, alsations, yorkies etc.
any breed of dog can be viscious...you are right the bull terrier was bred as a fighting dog to start with, but they were the only breed specifically bred to be non human aggressive they had to be this way so that the owners of the dogs would be able to enter the pit to tend to their injured dog or to stop a fight,if the dogs showed any forms of human aggresion they were killed straight away and that line was never bred from again. it was also common for the injured dog to be carried home in the pram with the baby..where they lived with the owner and the family so that they were socialized with people. in certain parts of the world including the u.k there is a thing called B.S.L {breed specific legislation}this is where certain breeds are banned. in the u.s in some states staffies american pitbull terriers and american staffs come under this ban {as do alsations} thousands of responsible loving families have their well behaved non viscious dogs taken away and killed for no other reason than being a certain breed, this is wrong..
if a certain dog attacks then it should be that dog and its owner that should be punished not an entire breed of dog...............punish the deed, not the breed..
i know my dogs are well trained and love people especially children, so should my dogs be killed because some idiot has took advantage of their dogs eagerness to please its owner..
staffordshire bull terriers are one of only a few breeds to be recommended with children by the uk kennel club..a dog judge i know of made the comment that staffs are the only breed he dosnt mind checking their teeth, as he trusts them entirely..
uk kennel club {the staffordshire bull terrier}
if a dog is trained to be viscious it is the fault of the owner not the dog. unfortunately these breeds are the targeted ones by thugs..
can you imagine thugs walking down the street with a yorkie on a lead ..dosnt have the same affect does it..target these irrisponable owners not the dogs..
"there is nothing to fear
except the persistant refusal
to find the truth
the persistant refusal to analyze
the causes of happenings"
{dorothy thompson. 1895-1961}
again thank you for your time
Wednesday 25 April 2007 5.26pm
staffilover wrote:
i know my dogs are well trained and love people especially children,
I don't mean to be rude, but HOW do you know this? How did they express their special love of children?

staffilover wrote:
staffordshire bull terriers are one of only a few breeds to be recommended with children by the uk kennel club
In that case, what on earth are we doing letting all those other breeds out in public?

...if you press it, they will come.
Zoe
Wednesday 25 April 2007 6.21pm
There is a spray you can get to use to stop dogs attacking, I'll try to find the details, I remember seeing one that was well recommended by dog experts.

However, the problem is always with the owner, not the dog. I have dogs, and am very careful around other dogs and people. This isn't because I don't trust my dogs, but ultimately they are only dogs and I have to be the responsible one. I can't say that 100% I don't know they won't cause problems, even though they have never caused problems before.

I therefore ensure I put them on a lead when other dogs are on a lead, and don't let them off around children and small dogs.

Owners who don't control their dogs in public should be banned from owning them. However, we would need to have a comprehensive dog licensing scheme to do this, and the government prefers to take the easy road of just banning certain dogs, which won't do anything about the thousands of bad dog owners of supposedly 'safe' dogs.
Wednesday 25 April 2007 10.07pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
staffilover wrote:
i know my dogs are well trained and love people especially children,
ivanhoe wrote:
I don't mean to be rude, but HOW do you know this? How did they express their special love of children?
oh purleeeze, i am more than capable of knowing if my dogs like people/children..the same way i'd know if they didnt like people/children..when people/children come to my house they love it, tails wagging, lots of licks. if they are out they love attention people show them..yes even strangers..even other dogs..
staffilover wrote:
staffordshire bull terriers are one of only a few breeds to be recommended with children by the uk kennel club
ivanhoe wrote:
In that case, what on earth are we doing letting all those other breeds out in public?
ask the experts that is their opinion. there are a lot of so called family dogs that are not recommended with young children...
lets see... the pomeranian that killed a 6 week old baby. the labrador that ripped its owners face off..funny that... this never got the headlines..
Wednesday 25 April 2007 10.09pm
Just a slight word of warning re the dog sprays - unless used by someone who knows what they are doing, these can be quite dangerous - if the dog is very dominant, and you were to spray only lightly - not enough to convince the dog you are a serious threat and therefore best avoided - you run the risk of it becoming even more aggressive and attacking you even more seriously. Reporting to the police/council is your best bet (not that this is much help if you're about to get bitten, I know!). Other best bet is to stand as still as you can, and say very loudly and firmly either "no!" or "down!". Hope this helps.
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.09am
staffilover wrote:
ask the experts that is their opinion. there are a lot of so called family dogs that are not recommended with young children...
lets see... the pomeranian that killed a 6 week old baby. the labrador that ripped its owners face off..funny that... this never got the headlines..

So you would agree that we should review the whole question of whether ANY dogs should be allowed in situations with children?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions