London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Thursday 26 April 2007 10.18am
Or whether any people should be allowed round dogs?

My dad always used to say that the more people he met, the more he liked his dog.

Very wise my old man

(TIC, slightly)
Thursday 26 April 2007 11.30am
cuppycake wrote:
Or whether any people should be allowed round dogs?
My dad always used to say that the more people he met, the more he liked his dog.

Very wise my old man

(TIC, slightly)

sounds like a very wise man
Thursday 26 April 2007 1.16pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
staffilover wrote:
ask the experts that is their opinion. there are a lot of so called family dogs that are not recommended with young children...
lets see... the pomeranian that killed a 6 week old baby. the labrador that ripped its owners face off..funny that... this never got the headlines..

So you would agree that we should review the whole question of whether ANY dogs should be allowed in situations with children?
of course dogs {if good with kids} should be allowed around them.. my point being, there are alot of dogs that are classed as even tempered by the kennel club {for example} but the staffie is actually classed in the kennel club as friendly especially with children click onto link and see if you can find any dog listed where it mentions children..
the kennel club uk
Thursday 26 April 2007 1.32pm
Hmm. My point is that if the kennel club (who I presume are experts in this field) say that there are dogs which AREN'T safe around families, then shouldn't those dogs be controlled (whether they are Staffies, or poodles, or whatever).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.22pm
Better warn Shaggy and those other meddling kids!
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.36pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Hmm. My point is that if the kennel club (who I presume are experts in this field) say that there are dogs which AREN'T safe around families, then shouldn't those dogs be controlled (whether they are Staffies, or poodles, or whatever).
of course..
but any breed raised with children should be ok with children...
there are probably some staffs that have not been raised round kids that might not be ok
{this would be rare}as bully breeds are naturally people lovers ...
its a case of socialization in a lot of breeds
my mom owns 2 jack russels that are not very good with kids as they have never been around kids..but there are some jack russels that are brill with kids..
in the case of bully breeds they are the most mistreated and misundertood breeds because of how they look and they do have an eagerness to please their owners so if their owners choose to abuse this trait by training them to fight this is what they will do ..this is not the dogs fault but the fault of the idiots that use them in this way..even dogs that have been mistreated in terrible ways including fighting usually respond very well to a good loving home afterwards if lucky enough to be rescued..
a lady who im in touch with in the u.s has been rescueing bully breeds for 13 years from some terrible horrific situations of cruelty and she has never been bitten once or even feared she might be saying that they usually wagg their tails as soon as they are rescued..please watch these videos this will show you just what i mean
more than words ever could
the truth
the other side of the media
thank you x
Friday 27 April 2007 10.45am
StaffiLover, I'm confused.

You say, "There are probably some staffs that have not been raised round kids that might not be ok."

Then... "my mom owns 2 jack russels that are not very good with kids as they have never been around kids..but there are some jack russels that are brill with kids."

So, how do you or the kennel club or any expert know - until the dogs have already been around kids - whether they're safe or not?

The point is, of course, nobody knows. And where there's ignorance there is fear. And where there's fear there's prejudice. But it is disingenous of you to claim certainty where, by your own admission, there is none.
Friday 27 April 2007 11.14am
thank goodness it's not just me who's noticed

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 27 April 2007 2.22pm
i know i didnt put it very good there did i...
im trying to make the point that not all "pitbulls" are viscious.. they are not born viscious..
"pitbulls" {i'll say pitbulls to include all bully breeds}
are known to have a natural affection to humans,
they are people pleasers this is their common trait...there are a lot of responsiable "pitbull" owners around the world {me included} who dont have these dogs to look hard/bad. there are other reasons we choose this breed and i for one wouldnt consider any other breed of dog. they are easy to train, they are very affectionate, they will protect you with their life, they are very intelligent,
they just have something special...ask any good owner who owns one it cant be put into words very easily..
it sickens and saddens me deeply the bad press these dogs get..because some scumbag uses this breed to make themselves look tough..
the reason they are used to fight is that they have an high pain threshold and will fight to the death..if trained to do so...{any dog can be trained to fight}..if they are so viscious how is it men can stand right next to 2 fighting dogs in The Ring while the dogs are in a wound up state and not get bitten..also before the fight..and after..
and how is it that "pitbulls" in rescue centres that have been used for fighting in the past are friendly dogs with the carers in the centres and the carers dont get bitten { and believe me they have rescued some dogs that have been in some terrible states} then go on to thrive in a loving home after being rehomed.
with no problems..
any breed of dog can be viscious it isnt a thing exclusive to "pitbulls"
if a "pitbull" attacks all "pitbulls" shouldnt take the blame.
the same as if a collie attacks all collies shouldnt take the blame..
but this is what is happening with "pitbulls"
Friday 29 February 2008 11.38am
I've been seeing a lot more of these lately - not sure of the breed, but would think mainly Staff crosses. There was an item on London Tonight a couple of nights ago talking about the increasing prevalence of these dogs and their ownership by young men (actually, they seemed to be mainly teenagers) who train them up for illegal dog fights. Don't know much about that, but keep seeing them - often poorly controlled - around BHS, Long Lane, Great Dover St, etc. They really do seem to have become a must-have accessory for image-conscious teenage males.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions