London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Saturday 1 March 2008 12.31am
i owned a staff bull terrier for 12 years ,

She was great with humans and loved kids. In fact when my niece was a baby she would fall asleep cuddling the dog , who would then watch over her and if there was any noise nearby or if anyone she was not sure of came near , the dog would give a growl.

she never showed aggresion to anyone in the street, in fact the only aggression she ever showed was to either sticks, bits of rope and a couple of rats she found in a ditch when we visited scotland lol

staffs are also known as the "nanny dog" as they are so good with kids , mainly due to having a very high pain threshold so kids can stick there fingers up the dogs nose/eyes etc and all the dog does is then try to lick the kid to death

yes there has been attacks on babys by staffs, but ANY dog gets jeaoulous of a baby getting more attention than it , in fact the worst dog bite i have ever seen in my line of work was by and old english sheep dog. In 14 years of being in the ambulance service i have never seen one bite caused by a staff bull terrier
Saturday 1 March 2008 5.50am
I've noticed a lot of kids with these dogs too. What's particularly worrying is that they're actually setting them on each other. I saw one incident when the owner set the dog on one of his 'friends' who then tried to run away as the dog bit at his legs.

http://takemystuff.co.uk <-- free stuff and get rid of your unwanted stuff
Saturday 1 March 2008 11.04am
they should scrap the dangerous dogs act and replace it with the dangerous owners act, imho.
Saturday 1 March 2008 2.06pm
Stafflover makes a very valid point, that more often than not it is the behaviour of the owner rather than the dog that is the problem. Although of course it would be very difficult for anyone to make a Yorkshire terrier dangerous!
Saturday 1 March 2008 8.56pm
Zappomatic wrote:
it would be very difficult for anyone to make a Yorkshire terrier dangerous!

lol. are you kidding? a small dog is still dangerous to a child. yorkies are snappy little buggers.
*staffilover who was attcked by one as achild*
Sunday 2 March 2008 12.41pm
I would argue that there is a strong correlation between buying an aggressive dog and being the sort of person who is fundamentally unsuited to owning and caring for an aggressive dog....
Sunday 2 March 2008 6.45pm
no breed is born vicious.
Aggression is a behaviour, not a temperament.
it's important to point out that when 'pit bulls' do bite, the reasons are the same as they are for any of the other breeds who bite or kill. Poor supervision and lack of proper training and socialization by the dog's owner is to blame. This explains why so many unrelated breeds are involved in aggression incidents. Breed is not the deciding factor. The home environment is.

Citing the breed's history as a dog fighter, some people believe there is some kind of magic "dog fighting" gene or brain chemistry that is passed along from sire and dam to puppy. The truth is, there is no such thing. (Read the article from Dr. Gary Goeree, DVM, regarding the theory that 'pit bulls' have some kind of unique brain chemistry.)

Rottweilers are probably involved in just as many attacks yet they were not bred for dog fighting. They were bred to herd cattle and work as guardians.

These bites are to humans, not to other animals or pets.

In 2005, 39 dog bites and three cat bites were reported. By breed, dog bites included: Labrador-retriever mix, six each; chow and rottweiler, four ; Jack Russell, German shepherd mix, terrier and cocker spaniel, three; bulldog, pitbull and schnauzer, two; Australian shepherd and mastiff, one each.

In 2006, 29 dog bites and four cat bites were reported: Labrador-retriever, 10; cocker, six; terrier and rottweiler, three; chow and pitbull, two; and shepherd mix, one.

This year to date (2007), there have been nine dog bites and two cat bites reported: Labrador-retriever, three; and one each by rottweiler, cocker mix, Jack Russell, chow mix, poodle and pit bull.
Sunday 2 March 2008 10.42pm
What about the bites that go unreported? And is a fatality resulting from an attack by an animal (be it a dog or a wolf or a shark) identified as a bite, or simply as a death?
Monday 3 March 2008 10.57am
I think I have posted before about this, a friend had a border collie, he had acres of land to bound about in, his owner was the gentlest kindest human being, all the extended family treated the dog with respect and love. This dog could spin on a sixpence, he would suddenly without warning leap for the face, he bit about a dozen people, the worse attack was on a three year old who was walking towards where they were sitting. She ended up like a car crash victim. The childs mum took court action and because my friend pleaded guilty the photos that had been taken did not have to be shown to the judge who would have ordered the dog to be destroyed.

He flatly refused to have the dog castrated which may have calmed it down.
The girl still bears the scars to this day.

The dog died at 13, still unpredictable!
Monday 3 March 2008 1.35pm
longlaner wrote:
What about the bites that go unreported? And is a fatality resulting from an attack by an animal (be it a dog or a wolf or a shark) identified as a bite, or simply as a death?

there are bites and there are fatalities.

believe me if a "pitbull" attacks its is reported far and wide, make no mistake about that.

a jack russel killed a child a few months back, funny though i didnt see anything in the papers about it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions