London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Monday 3 March 2008 1.56pm
There's a brilliant article from the New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell(writer of The Tipping Point) about dog breeds and racial stereotyping.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 10.48am
lagse1 wrote:
Having been a volunteer at BDH I know that the staff/pitbull terriers are in the top 2 of their 'inmates' as enthusiastic owners quickly realise that they cannot control an animal that through breeding is volatile, nervous and very unpredictable. Being in a 5x4 kennel with one of them is scary even as an experienced handler and i therefore give them a wide berth on the street. sadly, from experience of my one small street in SE1, i can see they are increasingly the latest 'must
have' status symbol.
Please can you give me your credentials regarding these breeds? Are you a specific breed expert? No i presume you volunteering at BDH would suggest you are care for dogs and animals in general.Your comments are not substantiated and they show you have absolutely no knowlege of this breed, or dogs for that matter. Uneducated experts always stir the pot.
Tuesday 17 June 2008 11.15am
I was told by a boss once that his definition of ' expert' is:

and Ex is a has been

and spurt is a drip under pressure!

Being a volunteer on a regular basis you can accrue more knowledge than many experts
who do their learning then forget the hands on approach..
Wednesday 18 June 2008 2.07pm
I certainly wouldn't say there's a racial profile for owners of these dogs. But they are amazingly prevalent. The other evening, walking from Tower Bridge Road to Borough tube, I counted nine. None was muzzled, and four weren't on leads.
Wednesday 18 June 2008 2.21pm
Would that be people or dogs lol?
Wednesday 18 June 2008 2.50pm
longlaner wrote:
I certainly wouldn't say there's a racial profile for owners of these dogs. But they are amazingly prevalent. The other evening, walking from Tower Bridge Road to Borough tube, I counted nine. None was muzzled, and four weren't on leads.

they dont have to be muzzled, unless they have been exempted by a judge at court. i dont muzzle my dogs, no need to. mine however are always on a lead, unless on the fields, having their run.
Wednesday 18 June 2008 3.24pm
I certainly can't believe it's possible to control them well without a lead...
Wednesday 18 June 2008 4.20pm
There was a lovely little tan staffie in The Black Horse on saturday, i felt like dog napping it. all the children were playing with it, lovely lovely dog.
Wednesday 18 June 2008 4.34pm
longlaner wrote:
I certainly can't believe it's possible to control them well without a lead...

its all according how well its trained, as with any breed.
Wednesday 18 June 2008 4.40pm
...it does not matter how "well" any dog is trained.

If a dog is off the lead in public it's like having a car with no brakes.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions