London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Wednesday 18 June 2008 7.56pm
Well said, Boss St Bloke.
Zoe
Wednesday 18 June 2008 9.20pm
I'm always mystified why people don't keep their dogs on leads, and sadly it's not just the irresponsible dog owners who do it.

When I've spoken to friends who do it, they insist that their dogs are so loyal to them they walk at their heel, and would never run off.

This is clearly nonsense, very few dogs are so well behaved that they won't run off if tempted enough, or if spooked. If you live in the countryside you might be able to get away with it, but who would risk it in London, it's completely mad.

If you love your dog, keep them on a lead, it's not rocket science!
Thursday 19 June 2008 1.42pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I was told by a boss once that his definition of ' expert' is:
and Ex is a has been

and spurt is a drip under pressure!

Being a volunteer on a regular basis you can accrue more knowledge than many experts

who do their learning then forget the hands on approach..
Thursday 19 June 2008 2.14pm
In regards to people keeping dogs on a lead it really is necessary for both owner and dog alike. Unfortunately many people have a particularly harsh view of bully breeds, whether it be a 15kg staff or a 90kg ebmastiff,so for all responsible owners its a must to alleviate peoples prejudices by showing respect for others, especially those who are truly ignorant regarding dogs.Keep your dog leaded. From many of the comments posted regarding pit bulls it is obvious there are some very hateful individuals who have seen a dog that reinforces the stereotype and would no doubt choose the imminent destruction of all associated breeds. Please before answering with some more information about these dogs please educate yourselves. That means possitive and negative facts.
It is an issue that is going nowhere. Ignorance is bred by fear!!!!!!!!
Wednesday 25 June 2008 10.46am
Pit and Staffordshire bull dogs are incredibly dangerous and there are stories about these dogs killing and seriously injuring people, especially children, all the time. It seems insane that we let dangerous dogs run free all over our parks and green spaces and it's only a matter of time before somebody is killed or mutilated by one of these dogs in SE1, if it hasn't happened already.

St Mary Magdalen churchyard, the green space at the corner of Tower Bridge Road and Long Lane has a particular problem with these type of dogs. Most of the people I know in the area now refuse to walk through it because there are often so many dogs running around snarling. I know several people who have been threatened with having the dog “sick” them when they have politely asked the owner if the animal could be restrained in this churchyard. I don't know how an owner could even hope to control a dog which is running wildly 100/150ft away from them.

A minority of dog owners are spoiling what small green spaces we have in this city for the majority of ordinary people. Clearly in such a densely populated city most dogs will be kept in completely inappropriate small flats, surely keeping a big dog in a small flat without outside space is cruel to the dog anyway. This is to say nothing of the diseases dog poo brings to places where people could be picnicking shortly afterwards or the rivers of urine all over our pavements sometimes.

I understand Southwark Council were considering banning dogs off leads in public spaces but a small number of vocal dogs owners forced them to abandon this policy. I urge everybody to write to our local councillors and MP to try to get his idea reinstated before somebody is killed.
Wednesday 25 June 2008 11.00am
Our local TRA was granted quite a large sum of money (16,500) to plant some trees and shrubs around an otherwise rather bleak block. The planting looked great until just a few people allowed their dogs to trample the shrubs. Guess what? The majority of the dogs are bull terriers (the exception is a rather large and unruly german shepherd) The problem is enforcement - there are notices saying "Dogs not allowed on grassed areas", but these are ignored (presumably, the dogs can't read)and there is no-one around to stop the owners. I guess a solution might be a harmless chemical repellent....
Wednesday 25 June 2008 11.26am
I thought dogs were never allowed in graveyards? in case any digging up?
Wednesday 25 June 2008 2.49pm
Dr Dave wrote:
Pit and Staffordshire bull dogs are incredibly dangerous and there are stories about these dogs killing and seriously injuring people, especially children, all the time. It seems insane that we let dangerous dogs run free all over our parks and green spaces and it's only a matter of time before somebody is killed or mutilated by one of these dogs in SE1, if it hasn't happened already.
I am sure if these dogs were labradors owned by lovely caucasian old ladies you would not even notice. Inherently ignorant regarding breed type.

First it was the Bloodhound in the dramatisation of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' then the Doberman post WW2, proceeded by the German Shepherd and the Rotty.

'No knowlege except media fed rumours aided by elitists and politicians coaching fear with their own brand of rhetoric used to assist in passing ineffective legislation created to pacify communities ignorant to the real causes and solutions of dog attacks'

DEFRA statistics show the single breed reported as being most responsible for dog bites requiring hospitalisation in the UK is the English Springer and Cocker Spaniel. While figures show 3 x the number of staffs/pits/bully breed dogs in the UK.

Annually there are more humans bitten by humans than by dogs.
Wednesday 25 June 2008 3.28pm
Anyone know of any pitbull that isn't called "Tyson" (presumably named after the well-known boxing rapist and ear-biter-offer)?
Wednesday 25 June 2008 3.59pm
Yes, Mike Tyson has a pitbull called "Me"
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions