London SE1 community website

Pitbulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Thursday 26 June 2008 12.46pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
toufan wrote:
JayBee wrote:
Anyone know of any pitbull that isn't called "Tyson" (presumably named after the well-
boxing rapist and ear-biter-offer)?
Great contribution, intelligent.

Yes. I agree with you, Toufan.

It was quite intelligent of JayBee to point out that, in his/her experience the majority of pitbull owners not only choose to own an intimidating dog, but then choose to call them by a name which amplifies the implied threat.

It directly relates to the debate about why people feel the need to have intimidating dogs, don't you think?
And your experience with these dogs is?? Bigotted views as usual. Does that mean as a muslim i am a potential terrorist, because some muslims have been terrorists. Does it mean that any middle class caucasian lady with a pekingese has a deep hatred of islam, because she told me so. No obviously but that is what you are stating. It really is a shame that you don't even know how insulting and elitist your views are.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.05pm
Erm, perhaps you could read my post rather than going off on a(nother) rant.

For your benefit, I was saying:

- I do think it's interesting that (in JayBee's experience - which I have no reason to doubt) the majority of people who own the type of dogs we're talking about give them agressive names.

- so, we have dogs which are bred (and, I assume, chosen by the owners) because they look aggressive (note that I do not say "because they ACT aggressive" because I've not got any experience of that). And the owners give them aggressive names. What does that imply about the reason why those owners have those dogs? I'd say it's unlikely that I'd get a pit bull and call it an obviously aggressive name for any reason other than that I want a scary sidekick.

I firmly believe (unless you're going to demonstrate otherwise) that dogs can't tell the difference between the meaning of the word "Tyson" and the word "Petal" for instance, so choosing an aggressive name is hardly going to be for any reason to do with the dog's welfare, is it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 26 June 2008 1.12pm
Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“A dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn't it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog's saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

In conclusion: Don't contemplate taking a dog home as a pet. If, however, you do need to keep a dog for any of the reasons given above, then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

What about a budgie then?
Thursday 26 June 2008 5.06pm
JayBee wrote:
Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:
“A dog can be owned for purposes such as the following:

1. A trained dog for hunting. Remember in Islam we are only allowed to hunt for food; there is no such thing as hunting for fun, for we are not allowed to kill or torture animals or drive them out of their habitats for the fun of it.

2. A trained dog as a guide. This would be the case if a person is blind and he/she has no choice but to keep a dog for essential services. In this case, it is permissible for him/her to keep a dog inside the house once it has been trained for service, but it is still recommended that the dog have its own sleeping arrangement.

3. A dog trained for police duties.

4. A guard dog to guard houses or property.

5. A dog used by farmers to shepherd cattle and sheep.

We are, however, not allowed to keep a dog as a pet, since it is not a very clean animal. How often have you come across the nasty sight of dogs taken for a walk licking their own excrement? Isn't it disgusting to see their owners kissing the mouth of such animals after such incidents as if nothing happened? Would you kiss the mouth of your own baby if he were to do the same? Think how many parasites and microbes may be hiding in their mouths.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has spared us from being contaminated by such filth when he ordered us to stay clear of the saliva of dogs. If we ever come into contact with a dog's saliva we must wash the spot seven times, the first of which should be with sand or dirt. It is also possible to use a bacterial soap instead of sand or dirt.

In conclusion: Don't contemplate taking a dog home as a pet. If, however, you do need to keep a dog for any of the reasons given above, then you may do so. But take every precaution not to have contact with its saliva, and also arrange for a separate living space.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

What about a budgie then?
Take you long to find that on the web sadiq. If my mother lived by these ideals she would be veiled. Please do not bring 'haram' into this. Great argument!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thursday 26 June 2008 5.38pm
As a middle class caucasian lady myself (part-time and for professional purposes only) I don't quite understand how you, Toufan, choose which of the teachings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) you apply to yourself - is it just what suits you at any particular time? Oh, and I have never bitten a dog.
Thursday 26 June 2008 10.29pm
Southwark Council now have the power to oblige dog owners to keep their animals on a lead in public and the fact that a small number of vocal dog owners have forced them not to implement this policy makes a mockery of democracy. Most of the people I know in SE1 refuse to walk through or otherwise use certain green spaces (ie St Mary Magdalen churchyard) because of the constant presence of menacing dogs on the loose.

I know several people who have been attacked by dogs and not one of the owners has ever been caught by the Police as far as I know. The problem is that realistically nothing can be done until the dog attacks and then once it does the owner simply walks away. If owners were obliged to use leads anyone not doing so would be immediately identifiable and appropriate action could then be taken by the Police.

As far as I am concerned the next time a dog off the lead attacks somebody in a public space our local councillors will have blood on their hands.
Friday 27 June 2008 8.34am
I cringe when i see idiot dog owners crossing the road without the lead on their dogs. no matter how well trained why take a risk of hurting the dog or causing an accident?
Friday 27 June 2008 12.34pm
JayBee wrote:
As a middle class caucasian lady myself (part-time and for professional purposes only) I don't quite understand how you, Toufan, choose which of the teachings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) you apply to yourself - is it just what suits you at any particular time? Oh, and I have never bitten a dog.
Firstly, im sure you have bitten a couple of dogs. The qur'an says nothing negative regrding dogs, the view that a dog is unclean comes from the 'ahadith.' In the story of the men in the cave in Sura 18, it becomes clear that God sees dogs as part of mens lives,(oh before you go on the web again i am aware of forms of 'najisat' and 'angels of mercy') You actually tried to lecture me on my faith due to the fact i have a dog ('makruh', i know)which i keep inside the house. Thanks for your judgement of my faith. You obviously have no relevant arguments to the thread of 'pitbulls.' I find it worrying that yourself and others post on an issue you have no experience on. Thats the pitbull issue and Islam.
Friday 27 June 2008 12.41pm
toufan wrote:
Firstly, im sure you have bitten a couple of dogs.

WHAT???
Friday 27 June 2008 12.55pm
Birdie wrote:
toufan wrote:
Firstly, im sure you have bitten a couple of dogs.

WHAT???
What!!!!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions