London SE1 community website

Borough Post Office to close

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 24 April 2007 10.29am
Use a courier. 5.99 for courier services for next day delivery for up to 30kg, provided by eBay user payperdrop_uk . Bargain. Get the order in by 10am and they'll pick it up before the end of the day.

Buy your stamps from Tescos.

Buy your car tax online.

Who needs a post office?
Tuesday 24 April 2007 10.47am
I posted an Ebay sale from London Bridge yesterday. Lovely big ceramic olive oil bottle, wrapped it up in loads of bubble wrap and placed it in a box lined with more bubblewrap and packed out with newspaper. Marked the box "fragile - handle with care" . . .

What happens? The buyer calls me today from Belfast and says that the bottle has arrived in 8 pieces.

She knows it is not my fault but the fault of the Post Office as I had wrapped it up really well and marked it "fragile - handle with care". No care was obviously taken. Not happy. I can refund the lady yeah, but now she won't have a lovely ceramic olive oil bottle to give to her friend who is coming over from Holland on Thursday.

Why don't the Post Office carry out instructions? Why don't they take more care? Can't they read or something?
Tuesday 15 May 2007 5.12am
Great to see there's a fight on to save our post office...bully for you Simon Hughes and co.
Thursday 17 May 2007 1.10am
don't waste anytime on hughes - he's a waste of space, we'd have been much better off with tatchell, at least he'd be in government.
simon's got form :
he campaigned to save the tooley street post office righ opposite me - it closed.
then he campaigned to save the bermondsey street post office - it closed as well.
both times we've been referred on to the next nearest office ...
ok mr crozier, which post office are you never closing so i can move there!
Thursday 17 May 2007 8.28am
Find out where Mr Crozier lives and it will be the one nearest him.

I think Simon Hughes knows a good band wagon when he sees one but having said that I think this is a campaign that really needs as many people as possible to support it so I would urge everyone to sign the petition and attend the public meeting

unfortunately it tends to be the elderly and less well off without access to computers etc that suffer when these sorts of closures take place and they do need a post office that is local with all the services of a main post office.
Wednesday 19 March 2008 7.50pm
The franchisee will be a new branch of Costcutter in Southwark Bridge Road

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3200

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 20 March 2008 2.42pm
I'm personally a bit gutted about this, as I often send packages, or recorded/registered delivery from there. The staff are helpful, the queue is manageable and it's walking distance.

The one at London Bridge ALWAYS has an insane queue, a slow moving insane queue at that!
And the Walworth Road PO, It's like entering hell.....noisy bickering hell.

Would just like to point out that I realise I can buy my car tax online, and my stamps from Tesco, (thank you Mapmaker!) but Tescos seem strangely reluctant to allow me to send parcels and furnish me with recorded delivery. many people need a post office, the random closing down off them is INFURIATING.
Thursday 20 March 2008 4.24pm
I agree it's a bummer that our post office is closing. Not that the Southwark Bridge Road site is very far away, but if it's only a counter in Cost Cutter...how much service will it offer. That said, was in the post office this morning and it took AGES. But it's a pleasant place and a lovely building. What's going to happen to it?
PKM
Thursday 20 March 2008 4.58pm
LilaSE1 wrote:
I realise I can buy my car tax online, and my stamps from Tesco, (thank you Mapmaker!)

You can buy your car tax online but when it doesn't arrive you have to go to the post office anyway.
Thursday 20 March 2008 6.57pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
But it's a pleasant place and a lovely building. What's going to happen to it?

Open a book on the odds for:
a bigger Starbucks or other 'coffee' shop
a bar
a restaurant
Chicken Shack
Pizza Hut
estate agent
Cost Cutter + post office counter.....
Something useful
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions