London SE1 community website

Borough Post Office to close

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Saturday 14 June 2008 6.51am
phoney, the walk to London Bridge may do YOU good, but not everyone will feel the same. I'm just sorry that,walk or not, this rather spendid building will be turned into another block of flats/offices, or, worse, torn down for a 50 storey tower.
Saturday 14 June 2008 2.54pm
I, too, am very upset that this excellent Post Office is closing and have done my bit with the Petition etc.

It is, by far, the best PO I have ever known, during my 40 years in London. The Customer Service is par excellence and it is rare to queue for longer than 10 minutes on the busiest of days.

London Bridge is only a five minute walk away - and I have one even nearer than Borough - but I generally walk up there, because I like the service. What a positive difference Good Service can make to one's day :P
Saturday 14 June 2008 3.44pm
I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's a listed building.
Friday 18 July 2008 8.04am
Does anyone know what is going to happen to the post office premises when the closure takes place?
Saturday 19 July 2008 10.05am
Well the notices in the current PO say the transfer will happen on 24 July and the new Costcutter in Southwark Bridge Road is taking shape.

I asked Royal Mail to clarify which is the final day of business in Borough High Street and which is the first day at Southwark Bridge Road and this is the response I was given:

"In regards to your enquiry on Borough High Street we have no confirmed dates yet.

"We are working towards a date."

Make of that what you will.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 19 July 2008 6.23pm
Thanks James. We'll just have to wait and see!

I'm sure someone has got their eyes on the existing Post Office premises. Part of the building is offices I think-so perhaps they'll just extend into the PO bit?
Saturday 19 July 2008 9.35pm
I don't quite understand that in these days of eBay, internet shopping and mail order why post offices are closing. I would have thought at least keeping them open or at best expanding would be a more appropriate route, particularly as PO's can be incorporated within shops, giving the franchisees more footfall and customers a PO within walking distance from home/work.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 12.56pm
There is now a closing down sale at Borough PO. All remaining stationery items reduced to 40p.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 2.07pm
On a related note, is there somewhere to buy stamps besides at the Post Office? I went into the one near London Bridge twice and was met with a line of 35+ people each time. I finally bit the bullet yesterday at the one near Trafalgar Square, where there were even more people. Twenty minutes in line to buy a couple of stamps. Why are there no stamp machines in the post offices?
Tuesday 22 July 2008 2.16pm
I posted details of a new postal service in the business forum, which may be of interest to those who spend half their life queuing for stamps!

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/7/87096
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions