London SE1 community website

Borough Post Office to close

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Tuesday 22 July 2008 4.00pm
Interesting service, but it doesn't help if you have to sign something or you're sending a card!
Tuesday 22 July 2008 4.03pm
You can upload a scanned version of your signature, but it is mainly meant for letters.

Can't you buy stamps in Tesco and other supermarkets?

Chris
Tuesday 22 July 2008 4.51pm
Can I? That's good. I asked at a couple of convenience stores but no dice. (I'm new to the UK, which is why I don't know these things.)
Tuesday 22 July 2008 4.58pm
Ah ok - welcome!

You can definitely get them at the counter of the Tesco on Old Kent Road and most supermarkets do sell them at their tobacco/lottery/confectionery counter.

Chris
Tuesday 22 July 2008 5.17pm
Regarding buying stamps from shops, be warned that local stores tend to charge 1 or 2p more than the face value, for the 'service'. I generally get a dozen of each, from the PO or Tesco/WH Smith, for normal cards and letters. Saves queuing.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 9.16pm
Looks like tomorrow (Wednesday) is indeed the final day at Borough PO.

The new Costcutter on Southwark Bridge Road is already trading and the (4) post office counters at the back of the store open for business on Thursday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 12.25pm
So many empty premises on BHS.
Shoe Fayre derelict for years.
Mayfair Carpets
Job Centre corner of Union St (still waiting for 'adult' gaming centre)
Those offices by John Harvard Library.
And now the Post Office. That will probably be a McDonalds.

What happened to the proposed sprucing up of BHS mentioned in a previous thread.
Thursday 24 July 2008 9.43pm
The sprucing up would be much appreciated. It's a street with so much history, but it's looking quite trashy in parts.
Friday 25 July 2008 8.25am
BHS is looking trashy. The jumble of sandwich boards, the mix of paving materials - it does not feel like a major route into the City.

And lately I have noticed that it smells a lot. I don't know if it is a sewer problem, or just the sheer volume of rubbish, alcohol and worse that gets dumped nightly.

It should be a priority- as has been noted it is a historic route and it has a lot of positive elements; the vibrancy, the Georgian buildings, the restaurants & bars, the quirky side-streets at the North end.

And let's pray that the old Post office does not become the third Chicken Cottage on the street!
Wednesday 12 November 2008 10.59pm
Not a Chicken Cottage ... looks like it's going to be joined up with neighbouring Prospero House conference centre: planning application here

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions