London SE1 community website

The Best and Cheapest Food in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 25 April 2007 1.07am
kaptau wrote:
There is also a very good and reasonably priced Malaysian restaurant called 'tuk tuk' next to Admiral Duncan (a pub painted in pink). Everyone knows where Admiral Duncan is.
Dunno who "everyone" is but I doubt they posted here with the question. Always best to give specifics if you want to help.
Thursday 26 April 2007 3.42pm
Hi Osamede. Sorry that I wasn't specific enough about the location of that one restaurant. Can't recall the name of the street. I found 'tuk tuk' by asking people around where Admiral Duncan is. The people around knew where it was presumably due to the nail bomb which went off few years back.
Thursday 26 April 2007 4.34pm
its on Old Compton street in Soho, so not really SE1
Thursday 26 April 2007 4.51pm
Yeah that's it but it's only 10 mins from London Bridge to Charing X by train as explained earlier. Thanks for that. Guess I'm showing early signs of Alzheimers.
Thursday 26 April 2007 6.40pm
Sainsburys/Tesco basics/value instant noodles with soup sachet..
= 8 pence each
Monday 30 April 2007 8.08pm
I can recommend the Grange Cafe on Grange Road. Eggs, bacon, chips, beans, black pudding, cup of tea - less than a fiver. Red top newspapers for your reading pleasure. A fruit machine: live a little.

Reviewed here, with other SE1 gems:

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/
Friday 1 June 2007 10.23pm
There's always El Vergel, a nice South American Sanwich/lunch place.
http://www.elvergel.co.uk/
There are several pubs in the area that do cheapish food, eg. Weatherspoons at Elephant & Castle but the food's not up to much. If you're in town Soho look for a Stockpot which does a basic 3 course meal for about 6. There are often clone places nearby too.

Shopping, Aldi & Lidl down the Old Kent Road are cheap and Borough Market on Sat at about 3.30/4pm there's a lot of reductions.

Bit late but hope it's helpful.
Saturday 2 June 2007 5.17pm
That's an excellent site, Sharky. Thanks for that!
Tuesday 5 June 2007 10.41am
There is a newish indian called Nawaz, they do a luchtime buffer for 5 between 12 and 3. I have not been to the buffet but the food was good on Friday night.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions