London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Arms Flyover / Roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 26 April 2007 6.40am
the next cyclist that comes whizzing around the corner into bartholomew street from new kent road will be cycling through the pearly gates..

the dickhead on a racing bike will kill someone soon, if my reactions were quick enough i would have stuck my stick through the spokes...he also belts thru the subway from searles road as well..
Thursday 26 April 2007 7.28am
The point about buses using the flyover is a valid one! During rush hour the taffic is awful on this roundabout (i dont want to get into discussions about why) i would just like the buses to go over the flyover! I have e-mailed TFL before about this because some buses have on the rare occassion done just that, but they say that 'they have no plans' to cut out the roundabout on the bus routes concerned as two bus stop's would be affected!

Personally, I cant see why they cant just change the route for SOME of the buses (preferrably the 63 or 363) so that pasengers can choose which bus they want to take....
ADT
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.02am
Redshoes: My wife and I live near to the flyover and we have no trouble at all walking under/by it at night, although we do tend to avoid the subways. It is a fairly well used pedestrian route even at night as well as being a busy road so I don't think you should have any concerns about it.

A vehicle underpass rather than a flyover would be great, but unfortunately I suspect it would also be vastly expensive and wouldn't create any vast improvement for traffic as it would be replacing like for like (unless they could do a two-way underpass?). Taking the flyover away without a replacement would be a very bad idea.
Thursday 26 April 2007 11.16am
I have to say that the traffic lights don't significantly slow people's journeys. Slowing the traffic is an explicit intention anyway - for safety of drivers and other road users. For many years now there have been some pedestrian routes over that roundabout but more recently they were significantly improved. It would be quite simply unheard of nowadays to build a roundabout where pedestrians could only use subways. People are kidding themselves if they think that 1 minute's delay on a journey from, say, Elephant and Castle to Kent on the A2 is really significant. The Old Kent Road, New Cross and Blackheath have many pinch points and big delays in peak hours.
Thursday 26 April 2007 11.55am
I'd fully support the move Indomie suggests, even if it was just at rush hour. Then, the people who live in the area may get some benefit from the flyover rather than just the people passing through.

The 63 could stop and the 363 could use the flyover.

The 453 could stop and the 53 could use the flyover.

I'd also let the 168 use the flyover as the 1 and 188 cover much of its route and stop either side of the roundabout anyway.
ADT
Thursday 26 April 2007 12.23pm
I recall from another thread that there used to be an X53 at peak times, which went over the flyover.
Thursday 26 April 2007 9.50pm
Colinio, why don't you just have done with it and stop selling diesel to bus companies. What's the odd minute here or there between friends, we can always walk.
Friday 27 April 2007 10.36am
Selling diesel? buses? could always walk? I haven't a clue what you mean but I was making a simple point that the roundabout traffic lights are sensible and that 1-2 minutes delay on anyone's journey is insignificant, and I did not specify a mode because they're all equally important. Mad as it may sound, I walk, cycle, drive a car, take buses and use cabs, and have tried all of them on the A2. Mad I know! But for what it's worth the flyover should be got rid of. I have driven this route countless times but this flyover does not serve any useful purpose at least not in its southbound direction. If it was reversed then it'd be of some use.
Friday 27 April 2007 11.03am
have done with what... and selling diesel... I haven't a clue what any of that means. I happen to think all transport modes in an urban area are of equal status so didn't specify a mode. I've walked, cycled, driven my car, taken cabs and buses down the A2. The traffic lights are a good thing and improve safety and add a minute onto any road journey. The flyover should be got rid of and here's hoping for a 20mph speed limit on the New Kent Road. Also on another point - TfL are generally against 'express' services as they aren't viable financially. I asked them about one once and they told me why not! I think that they would argue that to get to Deptford or Woolwich in a hurry there's the DLR or train.
ADT
Friday 27 April 2007 1.51pm
Colinio wrote:
I have driven this route countless times but this flyover does not serve any useful purpose at least not in its southbound direction. If it was reversed then it'd be of some use.

I find the flyover handy in peak periods to avoid the queues that build up with traffic filtering from NKR onto TBR around the roundabout. It would be pointless to reverse it, as there is already a direct route from OKR to NKR along the side of the roundabout. Moreover, the congestion going northbound on OKR toward the roundabout isn't from traffic trying to get to NKR, but it is traffic trying to enter the roundabout from OKR to continue on the A2 or go to TBR and being blocked by people on the roundabout. Pretty much every morning the traffic trying to get from the roundabout onto NKR backs up and some idiot blocks the entry from OKR.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions