London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Arms Flyover / Roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 27 April 2007 1.55pm
INDOMIE wrote:
The point about buses using the flyover is a valid one! During rush hour the taffic is awful on this roundabout (i dont want to get into discussions about why) i would just like the buses to go over the flyover!

That roundabout is also a major bus point exchange point in an area with NO tube lines. If the buses wentover the roundabout somone headed for Tower Bridge road from E&C would have to walk 3-4 blocks more in order to get where they are going or change buses. And those are the two major roads.

Even the current positioning of the bus stops is not very good at all, let alone making it worse by sending the buses even farther away.

All this is a consequence of the city's refusal to invest money in a tube line down a huge road and residential areas which is very central -deep in Zone 2.

If they did that,there would be less car traffic, you could be justified in extending the congestion zone further and you wouldnt need a flyerover because you ccould then send what traffic was left around that roundabout.

Plus the whole layout and city planning of that roundaout is awful: it should be a commecial activity centre, not a "dead zone" with a large number of residenses all absorbing fumes and noise from an eleveated road.
Sunday 29 April 2007 9.10pm
Osamede wrote:
INDOMIE wrote:
The point about buses using the flyover is a valid one! During rush hour the taffic is awful on this roundabout (i dont want to get into discussions about why) i would just like the buses to go over the flyover!

That roundabout is also a major bus point exchange point in an area with NO tube lines. If the buses wentover the roundabout somone headed for Tower Bridge road from E&C would have to walk 3-4 blocks more in order to get where they are going or change buses. And those are the two major roads.

Even the current positioning of the bus stops is not very good at all, let alone making it worse by sending the buses even farther away.

3-4 blocks is a slight exageration, as already mentioned, I would rather see the drivers given the ok to do this during peak hours only and not every bus route would have to go over the flyover.
ADT
Monday 30 April 2007 9.46am
What is the size of a block? I seem to recall seeing 100m mentioned as the equivalent in a more sensible unit of measurement. If that is correct then it is 3-4 block extra as the distance from the bus stops prior to or beyond the flyover to the stops at the roundabout is about 300-400m. So not an exaggeration at all.
Monday 30 April 2007 10.52am
lol
Friday 4 May 2007 9.02am
I received a response from Southwark Council on my query as to the long term plan for the flyover.

"Thank you for your enquiry. As you may be aware the Bricklayer's arms flyovers is located on the Transport for London road network and any proposals come under their jurisdiction."

"For your information, the council maintains the position that the flyover is unnecessary and should be removed. That the flyover creates a real community barrier and that TfL should consider its long term future. "

"On your behalf I have contacted TfL and have requested a response."

I will post the TFL response when I receive it.
Friday 4 May 2007 3.22pm
Hi redshoes

I have also written to the Transportation Dept at Southwark Council as part of a recent funding consultation and suggested that the subways are removed as a first step to improve the area.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/transport/APR.html
Monday 7 May 2007 2.39pm
>>That the flyover creates a real community barrier

No doubt. But that is why local councils do not have the responsibility for maintaining classified roads. Thank goodness.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 5.56am
Er...wait a second. If they remove the subways and then the flyover, isnt this going to create a somewhat hazardous place for pedestrians to negociate?
Tuesday 8 May 2007 10.20am
Hi Jackie,

Personally, I cant see any problems removing the subways from Bricklayer's (the flyover is a different matter)...if its possible at the centre of Elephant & Castle, then it certainly must be at Bricklayer's...

Hopefully the central island can be landscaped a bit too...it must be a depressing view for the residents of the Care Home which overlooks the site! Ultimately, its down to local residents...if they want to see this area improved them they need to raise it at local community council meetings and in consultations like the one I have mentioned above.
Tuesday 8 May 2007 10.29am
It is a shame that the flyover was ever built. I used to live in a lovely three storey house (Tower Bridge Road) that was demolished along with others, to make way for that flyover. It took with it shops, market, library and a park (Mayflower gardens if my memory is correct).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions