London SE1 community website

Bricklayer's Arms Flyover / Roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Thursday 10 May 2007 7.19am
I remember it well Trish, your right it was smashing at the brick before the equivalent of the berlin wall went up...and the true rat runs were established. I remember them digging up the graveyard that was on the grounds of where the small mayflower gardens are now i think. All the canvas screens that stopped people seeing the bones being strewn, and i seem to recall a sweet odour pervading the air it took ages..
Oh Trish, the trocette, the globe ( or fleapit!) the old kent picture houses, Toni the hairdressers where i had my first perm, Joyces fantastic pie shop, old my joyce had a gammy leg and would give children orange juice free..the pawn shop/haberdasher shop where everything was kept in brown cardboard boxes and you were served by an elderly man in a brown overall!
oh crikey here i go again waffling! sorry everyone..
Thursday 10 May 2007 10.18am
Jan, please continue! This is fascinating stuff.

I had no idea that the flyover is on the site of former shops, cinemas, graveyards and houses.

The extent of my previous knowledge about the Bricklayers Arms was that it used to be a goods yard and I'd assumed that the space was warehouses or other industrial buildings.
Friday 11 May 2007 8.24am
The Bricklayers goods marshalling yard was where Mandela way now is. It was replaced by the Royal Mail, Initial City Link couriers, Tate etc. The cottages on Pages Walk were for the railway workers, and the buildings at the northeast end of Pages Walk on the corner with Willow Walk were stabling for horses.

Anybody know when the Paragon Crescent (east end of NKR) was demolished? I think it was pre-First World War, a spectacular crescent of Georgian Houses.
Friday 11 May 2007 8.55am
Mapmaker, would that have been when Paragon School was built?
ADT
Friday 11 May 2007 1.09pm
According to this article you are right Jan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Searles

Presumably also the reason for Searles Road
Sunday 5 April 2009 3.23pm
From the latest crop of written answers from the Mayor:

Caroline Pidgeon AM Will you please get TfL officers to investigate the feasibility and cost of demolishing the Bricklayers Arms flyover on the Old Kent Road?

Boris Johnson The impact of removing the flyover at this junction, both in terms of physical cost and the effect on traffic in the area would be significant and would require extensive traffic modelling. There is no budget for either in the TfL Business Plan.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 April 2009 7.27am
Gordon Bennet, I hope they don't demolish it,there would be gridlock in the traffic going back to Westminster. Why demoliosh what has been working well all these years?

When ever there is an accident on the flyover or at the end when it descends into Old Kent Road, the traffic stands still until the accident is cleared. Silly idea to demolish it.
Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.45am
Jan, for the last few days there pretty much has been gridlock all the way to Westminster, what's going on?

It took me 50 minutes to get from Elephant to Grange Road on the Number 1 last night.
ADT
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.05pm
The problem seems to be traffic queuing into TBR, not sure why - perhaps the painting work on the bridge slowing things down?

Someone has sensibly allowed bus drivers to go over the flyover to get to OKR to avoid the queues on the roundabout - I had a ride over on the top deck of a 63 last Friday evening. It cause quite a stir amongst the passengers as we swooped up and over (insofar as double deckers can swoop).
Wednesday 8 April 2009 12.24pm
Yes, I think tonight I'm going to have to experiment and get on a bus that goes straight on at Bricklayers, and then change off OKR onto something that will get me back up to my destination - P12 or 381, perhaps.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions