London SE1 community website

Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Jac
Wednesday 9 May 2007 11.47am
cinnamon.wharfer wrote:
Thanks Long Laner!
I'm quite surprised at the lazy so-and-so remarks I've been getting. Glass collection is a very noisy affair, and as I stated, if building work, which is in general considerably quieter than glass collection, cannot commence until 08.00hrs, then I don't understand why these commercial rubbish collections can take place at such an early hour.

I don't lead a charmed life. I work hard, am seven months pregnant and need all the sleep I can get at the moment. I was only looking for advice/information on other people's experiences.

To be fair I think you have been getting some unhelpful comments but if you think glass collection is quieter than building work you couldnt be more wrong. For the past 5 years I have had building works immediately opposite, behind and to the sides of me. At times I have had to abandon telephone calls give up listening to music or even having a converstation in my home because I can not be heard over the noise of drills or piling. Not ideal when you work for home. Some days it would go on for hours on end. Most recently we have had builders in the house next door and not being of the English origin they have worked 8am to 9pm 7 days a week.Although granted their noise is not as persistant as the large developments that have occured around me. I know the noise glass collection makes and bleive me it doesnt compare in both length and volume to builders. That said I think I too would be complaining and quite rightly too if it its at 6.30am EVERY day.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 11.54am
I lived in Cinnamon for over 15 years & had the same problems. If the collections are made by the council then you won't get any joy. They basically say collections start at 6.30am and someone has to be first ! If the collections are from the restaurants it's worth contacting them to see if they can be a little more neighbourly. We used to have problems with the Blue Print Cafe but eventually they came around to a more civilised way of thinking ! Good luck
Wednesday 9 May 2007 11.59am
If you don't like the noise of rubbish disposal you shouldn't drink so many bottles of beer! Easy solution would be to stop recycling them, stick them in the normal rubbish, that's what I do. So much quicker and quieter.

How much beer do you drink to cause so much waste? What about the other people who are woken by the noise caused by your rubbish and selfishness? Gezz, it's a bit much I must say. People like you, coming on here moaning about the noise you are making.

Hang on, you shouldn't be drinking anyway? "I work hard, am seven months pregnant". What is all of this beer doing to your baby? (no offence or lecture intended) Saying that I guess this is typical Bermondsey stuff... oh you lot with your big ideas and crazy habits. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Still have one for me...
Wednesday 9 May 2007 12.08pm
Erm ... I assume the above is an attempt at trolling. It's not welcome.

Let's keep the discussion friendly and helpful, please.

In case there's any misunderstanding I think we are talking about the collection of BUSINESS waste from bars and restaurants here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 12.24pm
Obvious troll.

As far as strange timings go, I quite literally bumped into two council operatives cleaning the street at 1.30 am the other morning, near St George the Marytr. They were having a very animated conversation about their sex lives. I heard the conversation before I saw them, so, as I turned off Borough High Street, I was expecting the voices to belong to a couple of lads swigging from cans, not two uniformed guys sweeping the pavement!
PKM
Wednesday 9 May 2007 12.40pm
Cinnamon.Wharfer - I'm local to shad thames too - the restaurants are, I think, supposed to wait until 8am on weekdays before receiving deliveries etc. Unfortunately, they don't always stick to this!

I know that others in my building have previsouly complained to the restaurants and All Bar One - maybe worth another try?? I think its probably the All Bar One collection that is causing the disturbance.

The Shad Thames Residents Association is also constantly trying to enforce the 8am rule.
Zoe
Wednesday 9 May 2007 5.17pm
We have bottles deposited by bars locally and then collected by the recycling truck, and it's amazingly noisy. At first I used to go onto the balcony to see what was going on, I thought someone was breaking lots of windows somewhere.

We also suffer noisy building works, so I'm very sympathetic to both you and Jac. To add to this, we get noise from the bars at the back of us, it's incredible how many times in one night large groups can whoop, shout and clap loudly, and then generally have group singing on the way home, in case we missed it earlier.

Noise can be very stressful, and I don't think it's really recognised by planning or licensing as a serious issue. However, it's probably not the fault of the businesses when Southwark collects the bins, you will need to complain to Southwark refuse. However, it's worth trying, as most of us presume that we won't get anywhere with Southwark, so don't bother complaining, so they might respond to the novelty of your complaint.
Wednesday 9 May 2007 8.18pm
I once lived in Soho where the bottle collection (right opposite) was at around 4am every morning. I found I got used to it to the point that I don't even notice anymore.
Zoe
Wednesday 9 May 2007 9.23pm
cuppycake wrote:
I once lived in Soho where the bottle collection (right opposite) was at around 4am every morning. I found I got used to it to the point that I don't even notice anymore.

Well there's hope yet then (and I don't notice the trains, so I know it's true).

Do you think I will also get used to Thames Water, not content with digging up The Cut during the day and causing chaos, but working until 6am every night.

I really hate Thames Water at the moment..... :-)
Thursday 10 May 2007 10.57am
I'm near the OKR and the bins have been getting emptied earlier and earlier recently. In the winter, 7.30am to 8am was normal but this week was before 7am on the bank holiday.

If only they'd swap their routines with the postman. I'd much rather have my mail at 6.45am and my bins emptied at 11.30am.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions