London SE1 community website

Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Jac
Thursday 10 May 2007 11.50am
Then again assuming any parcels you get haven't been nicked in the post, you would have to get up and answer the door to the postie at 6.45am
Friday 11 May 2007 7.57am
Britain sacks councillors for imposing fortnightly rubbish collections.

Here in Southwark we are privileged to have weekly rubbish collections - yet there are endless moans.

I'm going to buy all the houses along the OKR, and then campaign for its pedestrianisation and make a lot of money. Perhaps you should go and live in the Country! Do you really expect Shad Thames - which is a mix of residential and commercial, and means that you don't have to get a cab home in the evenings - to be as quiet as Privet Drive?
Friday 11 May 2007 9.33am
Cinnamon - I'm sorry that you have got in the neck from some of the posters, who I think have been quite patronising, if not downright spiteful.
Mapmaker - you are being a bit disingenuous; the issue is surely that there is an appropriate time for making the kind of noise that Cinnamon and Zoe are referring to, and it is not 6.30 in the morning, NOT that there should never be any noise. I have no doubt that the commercial enterprises in Shad Thames have covenants placed on them relating to waste collection times and it sounds like these are being flouted.
Cinnamon/Zoe - I hope this is something that you can get sorted, especially before the baby is born!!
Friday 11 May 2007 9.54am
I have a great deal of sympathy for Cinnamon Wharfer, although what can be done about it does largely depend on whether conditions have been stipulated and whether these are being broken.

If you know which establishments are causing the disturbance you can check here: http://licensing.southwarksites.com/

to find out what conditions pertain to individual licenses. For example, All Bar One at Shad Thames is only meant to have rubbish collections after 9am.

Clearly this only relates to those establishments that have drinks and entertainment licenses and not businesses in the area, though it sounds in this case as though the issue is with a licensed premises.

Whilst I think we should all be able to demand certain levels of reasonableness and acceptability around issues of noise in the area, and this particular issue would seem to fall foul of that, I think we also need to remember (and this is particularly pertintent to Shad Thames) where we have chosen to live. I think that is the point that some other posters have been trying to make. It isn't a rural idyll so we can't expect the noise levels of one, though I think we do have a right for license conditions to be enforced as they are there for a reason.
PKM
Friday 11 May 2007 10.01am
Mapmaker - given that the Shad Thames area is a very densely residential area, yes I do expect some reasonable consideration of resident's comforts. It is not just the commercial enterprises that have made that area as popular as it is today - its also the residents that make it the thriving community that it is. Cities all over the country have been trying to attract residents back into the centre becasue that is what has led to the lively revival of our cities - you can't do this and then say we should put up with anti-social noise/behaviour. Its just about trying to get the Balance right.
Saturday 12 May 2007 6.03pm
The road outside my house is cleaned at an unearthly hour each morning. It delights me to walk out into a clean street. Currently they are using silent manpowered brushes, but previously they have used pushalong vacuum cleaners. I still prefer the clean street.
Wednesday 16 May 2007 11.21am
I've been reading the forum on the London SE1 Community Website for some a few years and only recently 'plucked up the courage' to officially join up. I always enjoyed the lively debates and reading about community issues which I wouldn't necessary have been aware of if I hadn't referred to the forum. I congratulate James Hatts for this.

I'm saddened by some of the comments I have received from people regarding my thread. I reiterate that I was only looking advice regarding the time/noise of the bottle collection in Shad Thames - and I really thank those people who have shared their experiences with me. I was not looking for attacks on my sleeping habits or nasty, jealous comments regarding my choice of residence (please refer to Mr Mapmaker's post). Perhaps I would have got a better response if I had called myself jamaica.road where I lived previously??? This is meant to be a COMMUNITY forum - we all live in the community of SE1 and I therefore (naively) assumed that there wouldn't be a 'them and us' mentality here. Posters should not feel that they have to explain why they make certain lifestyle choices or why they choose (or not choose) to live where they do. Community means we treat each other as equals.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and it would be a sad world if we were unable to express it; however, there is a time and place for certain comments, and that place wasn't here.

Jac - if you are experiencing building work before 08.00hrs and after 18.00hrs, you should contact Southwark Council. I have done this myself on several occasions whilst living in Southwark and have found the Noise Team have reacted swiftly to the problem.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/NoiseProblems/ConstructionNoise.html
Wednesday 16 May 2007 2.26pm
I am in complete agreement with you Cinnamon Wharfer. In mixed residential/commercial areas there should be due regard for the interests of all parties. Collections can easily be made at more social hours.

Nor is it a choice of clean or dirty streets. There is no reason why the streets cannot be kept clean if the cleaning is done after 9am.
Wednesday 16 May 2007 9.30pm
"Mr Mapmaker accused of jealousy of occupiers of grotty Shad Thames flats."

Sorry cinnamon old chum, but I probably live in a larger and distinctly nicer SE1 property than your grotty flat; I have no jealousy whatsoever towards your choice of off-plan residence! I am an unreconstructed Thatcherite and admire conspicuous expenditure and grand houses.

On the other hand, I show - unlike you - a non-Blairite consideration towards the greater residential environment. (I mean this in a non-Cameronian green fashion, but merely with regard to my delight in using a clean shower in the morning, and to using a clean street as I go about my daily affairs.) I continue to maintain that clean streets are a delightful aspect of living in a busy place. Don't like it? Move to Bromley or Dagenham.
Thursday 17 May 2007 8.03am
Why are you so angry, Mapmaker?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions