London SE1 community website

Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Thursday 17 May 2007 8.21am
Welcome, cinnamon.wharfer. Please don't let the less helpful responses put you off.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 17 May 2007 8.45am
Charles Alfred wrote:
Why are you so angry, Mapmaker?

More to the point, why does he have to be so rude? Mind you he's said he's an unreconstructed Thatcherite so he clearly only cares about his own greed and selfishness.

All the more reason to ignore him.
Thursday 17 May 2007 9.20am
Surely the original point was not that rubbish collection is a bad thing per se, but simply that it might be done at a time and/or in a manner less likely to wake the large number of people for whom 6.30 is not getting-up time?
Thursday 17 May 2007 9.44am
Mapmaker has definitely become angrier...indeed I'm wondering whether or not someone has stolen the name of our Mapmaker of old and is someone quite new....none of his recent postings remind me of the nice guy in the lovely tweed jacket...Mapmaker, have you undergone a metamorphosis or been thwarted in love or something? Rubbish collecting IS a noisy business and clean streets are certainly preferable to litter strewn ones. If the rubbish trucks come too late, the streets are busier and people get stuck behind them and start swearing....you're damned if you do and damned if you dont if you're a bin man.
PKM
Thursday 17 May 2007 9.47am
The original point also pertained to commercial rubbish - bottle collection from the local bars/restaurants which occurs daily and not about weekly residential collections.

Sometimes I fear that posters read what they
want to rather than what has actuially been written, just so that they can come back with objections.

p.s. I wish I lived in your building cinnamonwharfer - its a very cool building!
Thursday 17 May 2007 10.01am
Me, angry? I thought Cinnamon was the angry one around here, angry about 'antisocial' hours of rubbish collection. London is noisy, so either: get used to it; move to the countryside; or get double glazing.

If you took everybody's point of view into account when permitting any spot of noise then London would grind to a standstill. We choose to live in SE1, despite (because of?) its trendy bars, despite its building sites (on their sites following their construction, and despite Millwall supporters.

For every person who is annoyed because the adjacent plot is a building site, there is another person who was annoyed when your own plot was being put up.

For every person annoyed by inebriated youngsters outside local bars... that person was you last night/week/year.

Live and let live, and you will be much happier and more relaxed.
Thursday 17 May 2007 10.14am
Quite so. But if "Live and let live" is such a powerful maxim, why not practise it, rather than sneering at where people live and suggesting they move the country?

The original post wasn't angry; it expressed irritation and frustration. The anger is a more recent development.

When I posted a while back about my concern regarding the proliferation of bull terriers and their possibly irresponsible owners, I received a lecture about not getting high blood pressure. But one of the functions of this forum is for people who live locally to share their concerns and make common cause with people who feel similarly. If something is annoying, it can be salutary to find that other people find it annoying too. Being patronizing serves no useful purpose.
Thursday 17 May 2007 10.29am
I meant "move to the country", obviously. Moving the country would require some alarming seismic activity that no one (so far) has advocated here....
Thursday 17 May 2007 12.36pm
I'll probably get shot down in flames once more, but...

You cannot possibly read tone of voice into posts on an open forum like this.

When you're accusing people of being angry then perhaps you are projecting your own emotion onto their written words?

There, I said it.

I'll go and skulk back in Chatter now.
Thursday 17 May 2007 12.44pm
I think you can't conclusively determine tone of voice, but it is often pretty clear what someone's mood is from his or her choice of words, use of punctuation and frame of reference.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions