London SE1 community website

Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Thursday 17 May 2007 12.54pm
Birdie wrote:

You cannot possibly read tone of voice into posts on an open forum like this.

When you're accusing people of being angry then perhaps you are projecting your own emotion onto their written words?

Possibly, though that kind of leaves it open for anybody to be as rude as they like on such a forum and then claim they've been mis-interpreted.

I would have thought it would be much better if the poster took due caution in thinking about how their post might be received and I think comments such as:

"Sorry cinnamon old chum, but I probably live in a larger and distinctly nicer SE1 property than your grotty flat; I have no jealousy whatsoever towards your choice of off-plan residence! I am an unreconstructed Thatcherite and admire conspicuous expenditure and grand houses."

are at the very least unhelpful and worded in such a way as to convey spite to someone who only came on here for a bit of friendly advice.

Anger isn't the word I would use, but it conveys something unpleasant. Even if it's meant to be tongue in cheek it's still unnecessary in this context whatever the tone of voice.
Thursday 17 May 2007 1.31pm
I completely agree with this. Perhaps the quibbling about semantics and sentiment could be brought to a close now, in the interests of actually addressing the original subject of the thread?
Thursday 17 May 2007 1.40pm
The Mapmaker postings are another obvious case of trolling.

Not worth bothering with.
Friday 18 May 2007 7.37pm
cinnamon.wharfer wrote:
I was not looking.. nasty, jealous comments regarding my choice of residence (please refer to Mr Mapmaker's post). Perhaps I would have got a better response if I had called myself jamaica.road where I lived previously???

This really goes to show how extraordinarily comments on a forum like this can be misinterpreted. Cinnamon.wharfer is most amusingly accusing me of class* envy as a result of his living in Shad Thames.

I am no more angry than suffering from envy of a Shad Thames location. I am bemused that somebody choosing to live bang slap in the centre of the world's greatest metropolis has the temerity to complain about the noise - yet similtaneously to suggest that I am jealous of his Shad location. It's quite easy to find quiet suburbanity in south London, but not on Shad Thames! Try Sumner Road in Peckham.

Oh, c'mon Mapmaker! Why not let it lie? Or be gracious and apologise? You called CW "a lazy so and so" for wanting to be asleep at 6.30am on a Saturday, and then you called her flat "grotty". Not very civil - whatever the issue under discussion!
Friday 18 May 2007 8.09pm
I apologise unreservedly for the offence I have inadvertantly caused as a result of my obvious nasty jealousy of CW's living in a place where the noise of rubbish collections prevents sleep.
Saturday 19 May 2007 5.54am
Living in the middle of E&C roundabout as I do, there's noise EVERYWHERE, and indeed I did move from leafy Camberwell with a huge garden...my children were concerned that I'd be bothered by the constant roar of the city plus non stop sirens....however, as Mapmaker says, it doesnt pretend to be anything other than it is. Central urban living. I do have double glazing which helps! And I've kind of got quite fond of the noise. At least rubbish collection is quite quick, it's not hours and hours and a constant racket. Usually human beings become accustomed to these disturbances and just turn over and go back to sleep.
Zoe
Saturday 19 May 2007 11.18am
I think the problem isn't the noise, it's the inconsiderate behaviour of many people, which can cause noise. I have Waterloo East at the back of my block, and never notice it, as you get used to it. However, I can't get used to drunken people singing outside, or people whooping and yelling.

I'm also amazed by the number of times I find people parked in front of my garage so I can't get my car in/out, some of whom turn very nasty when I ask them to move. It's all inconsiderate behaviour, and causes London to sometimes be an unpleasant place to live.

I was born in a village, and contrary to what people are saying here, it's not quiet, but it's also not constant, and people are moe aware of the effect of their behaviour on others. However the birds can be deafening...
Monday 21 May 2007 11.28am
Just because we live in an urban area with a lot of noise does not mean we have to "put up or shut up". We should always look for ways to improve the quality of our intensely urban environment by reducing noise, dirt and pollution. Rubbish collections can easily be moved to a later time. That may cause traffic to slow down but is in keeping with the Mayor's initiatives to reduce cars in the city and give priority to essential services. Current planning policy favours more residential areas in the city and fewer cars.

Have you tried asking the commercial premises to move the times of collection. We had a pizza place near us which caused the same problem but they changed the times of collection once they realised our residents were being woken up at 1-2am.
Monday 21 May 2007 11.47am
Quote:
Rubbish collections can easily be moved to a later time. That may cause traffic to slow down but is in keeping with the Mayor's initiatives to reduce cars in the city and give priority to essential services.

Of course such slowing of the traffic doesn't affect either buses or taxis which we are encouraged to use instead of our own cars.

London is horrific and snarled up at the best of times. We should be encouraging activity that reverses this, not adding to the problems.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions