London SE1 community website

Rubbish collection at 06.30hrs???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Monday 21 May 2007 1.15pm
The early roadsweeper vehicles used to go round the bricklayers, at about 2 or 3am, you'd hear the very load hum twice..there and back, i think i mentioned it on here, I would have loved it had they started at 6am..
Monday 21 May 2007 1.57pm
They used to come down Tooley Street at midnight - almost to the minute, you could set your watch by them!

Have to say it was a minor inconvenience compared to knowing that the streets were being kept clean of rubbish.

But now that you mention it, have not heard them for a while.
Monday 21 May 2007 3.20pm
Of course such slowing of the traffic doesn't affect either buses or taxis which we are encouraged to use instead of our own cars.

London is horrific and snarled up at the best of times. We should be encouraging activity that reverses this, not adding to the problems.[/quote]

Fewer private vehicles means faster times for public (road) transport - one of the reasons for the congestion charge.

Discouraging private vehicles is beneficial for London.
Monday 21 May 2007 3.46pm
Do you use the buses?

It takes me an hour (sometimes longer) to do my journey to work on the bus, it takes 15 mins by car.

In the four years I have lived in Bermondsey the journey time has become longer, the buses more croweded and less regular, and the fare increased by around 40%.

I realise we've veered off topic but, really, we can't just believe the mayor when he says public transport is improving when clearly it ain't.
Monday 21 May 2007 3.54pm
Yes, I do use the buses. We should ban cars and use the roads for public transport, bicycles and service vehicles.
Monday 21 May 2007 4.18pm
Reg

so how would you transport 2 kids and a weekly shop on the bus? take my mum (who is disabled) shopping?

I walk to work and use public transport whenever possible but there are times that people do need a car
Monday 21 May 2007 4.38pm
Order your groceries over the internet. No reason why kids & the elderly can't use the bus.
Monday 21 May 2007 5.07pm
It's easy to use a bus with children and an elderly mum.
1) stand close enough to the bus stop.

2) clutch toddlers hand.

3) one handed lift pushchair complete with 12lb baby onto bus.

4) try to adjust shopping bag dangling around neck threatening to cut off blood supply.

5) find that bus driver already has three prams onboard.

6) off load backwards trying to avoid mad onslaught of school children anxious to get on.

7) find mother has found a seat after poking someone with her walking stick.

8) see mother waving frantically as bus roars off, knowing she has no purse or bus pass with her.

9) hope that she gets off next stops and waits on the chewing gum ridden plastic seasts that slide you off because they are angled wrong.

10)wipe toddlers tears ' cos his Nannas gone.

11) wipe baby sick off toddlers head.

12) eventually arrive home, minus shopping.

13) when husband comes in resist the urge to scream when he asks whats for dinner..

14) phone for a takeaway..and flowers for Mum!
Monday 21 May 2007 5.07pm
dee dee, I'm with you - it just isn't always practical and the evangelical who think that it is possible for everyone to survive without a car make me want to go out and buy one that guzzles more gas.
Monday 21 May 2007 6.49pm
Ditto Birdie. I use my car as little as possible, take the tube, bus and walk. But my parents are past ninety, and they simply cannot go up and down the stairs of the tube, taxis are two high for them, and they cant carry their shopping for the distance from the nearest bus stop. I take them out, take them heavy shopping etc. And I have two grandchildren of one and a half and three and a half who are not yet manoeverable on public transport with any degree of safety. I'd be glad to ditch my car but I just cant. Not yet anyway.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions