London SE1 community website

Football in Potters Fields - abuse?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 14 May 2007 4.35pm
Is there a Highway Code style handbook for parks that dictates a natural order of activites and their respective right of way?

1. Reading the Gaurdian
2. Playing football
3. Frying hot-dogs
4. Doing anything whilst in the possesion of a high level of disposable income

Either there is a 'No Ball Games Sign' or there isnt.
Monday 14 May 2007 4.55pm
How many times must I / we say it??! It's not about "playing football" it's about sectioning off an ENTIRE field - the central field - in what is a relatively small park and then having an ENTIRE MULTI-HOUR TRAINING SESSION ... Either you have explicit permission for that or you don't! It's a MASSIVE infringement on the liberty of everyone else who wants to use the park at primetime weekend - apart from the cost of repairing and replacing grass turf that has been destroyed by football boot studs.
Monday 14 May 2007 7.35pm
well it's licensed so you can object with this :

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_13275.doc

as I said before, wait until you see the drunken orgies planned and licensed!
Monday 14 May 2007 8.15pm
kellandj wrote:

Where would someone sign up to these drunken orgies on Potters Fields? I enquire as only a disinterested observer. (cough)
Tuesday 15 May 2007 12.02am
all I can say is:

Why is vicd behaving like a Nazi?

Why is he wasting our council's time/money with his pathetic prejudices?

What's the big deal about some lads playing football?
Tuesday 15 May 2007 1.48am
Jonathan K wrote:
kellandj wrote:

Where would someone sign up to these drunken orgies on Potters Fields? I enquire as only a disinterested observer. (cough)

ask potters fields (sic) trust!
Tuesday 15 May 2007 1.54am
despite the sign, it is potters field.
in 1678 the area north of st olaves strangers burial ground (hence 'potters field see matthew 27:3 et al) was 'mr potts fielde'.
the oft repeated social myth that there were some delftware potteries in the area is just that.
Tuesday 15 May 2007 10.16am
The main issue appears to be the SCALE of the activity (given the venue) rather than the activity itself. This is clearly not a mere kickabout. Furthermore, who will accept legal liability if someone is injured - say a child nearby struck by a ball? If and when any injury occurs my guess is the footballers will not readily accept liability or pay (or be in a position to pay) suitable compensation. Assuming of course they don't leave the scene without giving their contact details.
Zoe
Tuesday 15 May 2007 7.54pm
We don't have many green spaces locally, and they must be fairly shared. I don't think it's behaving like a Nazi to object to organised football on a park. There are lots of football pitches in SE1 where people can play football, do they also need to take over parks as well.

And remember the trouble Ken got into for calling people Nazis! Lets not go there again.....
Wednesday 16 May 2007 12.05am
Also of concern is the fact the turf may not yet be ready for the rigours of a kick-about.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions