London SE1 community website

Councillor Stanton's Failure at Potter's Field

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 16
Tuesday 12 June 2007 6.17pm
I think the basic fact is that these large companies have huge amounts of money and resources behind them. They'll have good lawyers and planners anyone opposing them have an uphill struggle on their hands.

That said, these David and Goliath matches have been won before by the community (e.g. opponents of new Tescos/Asdas) so it might not be a lost cause.

http://takemystuff.co.uk <-- free stuff and get rid of your unwanted stuff
Sunday 24 June 2007 12.34pm
Well we certainly haven't got a David in Southwark to defend us against the Berkeley Homes Goliath!

All we've got is Councillor Stanton our spotty, mumbling excuse for a Leader who's spent the last 5 years talking about arty tarty Cultural projects and come up with nothing. The BFI and Royal Shakespeare Company don't have any money and are non starters. Stanton's wasted millions of our tax money losing against the Berkeley Homes scheme in the courts and this week's Southwark News is now saying that Stanton is sitting down with Berkeley Homes “to put their differences behind them”.

How wet is that? We own more than half the land on Potter's Field. We can do what we want with it! We don't NEED to do a deal with Berkeley Homes. We don't need their money. If Stanton is meeting with Berkeley Homes to get some kind of face saving deal done he should resign and we should demand a new leader with some backbone. If Stanton caves in on this we should certainly get rid of the Lib Dems at the next election, they're a disaster.

The Sport Museum building looks great by the way! Does anyone know who's behind it and who designed it? If they've got any money they've got my vote!
Sunday 24 June 2007 2.56pm
David200, your attacks on Councillor Stanton are highly personal and nasty. He can't seem to win, he's damned if he commits resources to fighting Berkeley Homes and he's damned if he sits down and talks to them. I can't see how this approach is helping your argument.
Monday 25 June 2007 10.48am
toms wrote:
David200, your attacks on Councillor Stanton are highly personal and nasty. He can't seem to win, he's damned if he commits resources to fighting Berkeley Homes and he's damned if he sits down and talks to them. I can't see how this approach is helping your argument.
I agree - at first the attacks on Cllr Stanton on this issue seemed to have little basis in reality. Now they even lack the merit of internal consistency (or politeness).
Monday 25 June 2007 8.44pm
I'm as bothered as anyone else at the manipulations of Berkeley Homes, but calling Nick Stanton names wont solve a thing.
Monday 25 June 2007 10.56pm
i agree that the antagonism of stanton won't help, but i don't quite understand why people are so quick to defend him. It seems to me that this situation hasn't been handled at all well, and that loads of money has been wasted when an alternative use couldn't have been that hard to find (surely!). i like the look of the sports museum by the way, the pictures look pretty impressive. certainly beats those bloody daleks.
Monday 25 June 2007 11.12pm
As has been said, given the profit to be made from building, Berkeley Homes war -chest is mighty.

I wish it were a fair battle - because once we are beaten by Berkeley that land is gone for good. It will never return to cultural use.

So sad.
Tuesday 26 June 2007 2.59pm
Sad's the word. Tony Pidgley has so many millions it wont make any difference and we have only one Potters Fields....
Wednesday 27 June 2007 8.23pm
the last two posts say it all really. once it's gone it's gone. judging by the posts on here defending stanton i don't think people really grasp that.
as i've said before the apathetic posters saying 'oh he's done his best' mirrors the councillor's own handling of the site which has been to do everything except what the situation needed - taking a stand....

keeping everyone happy with empty talk has now left us staring down the barrel and a 'deal' with berkeley homes.

pathetic
Thursday 28 June 2007 8.58am
Dont think for two minutes that I defend Nick Stanton or indeed anyone on the Council...most councillors are doing a job most of us are too busy or too selfish to do, because possibly they dont have that much of a life. And most of them do not have the balls, the clout or the money behind them to stand up to the big guns like Berkeley Homes who also have the ear of Government....I just object to the personal remarks ("spotty" is surely not his fault). The whole issue of the bullying of Councils should be addressed. What is the point of asking people to vote in local elections in order to have a bunch of ineffective/incompetent people who are supposed to represent our interests but are so easily overridden.
Current: 7 of 16

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions