London SE1 community website

Tommy Steele "Bermondsey Boy"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 31 May 2007 7.43am
Yes, I found the rag trade connection with cabbage, plus in some quarters it can mean money. But this definitely means to have a party. He speaks of being at the pub with his dad when he used to do little shows for the regulars, miming to records. He states that people left the pub and before he knew it there was a cabbage at his house in Frean Street. I am defeated. I shall have to ask Tommy if I can find him.By the way, did you know Southwark gave him a blue plaque on some flats when he lived in George Row? I hear that it has been knocked down since!! Is that true? What happened to the plaque if it was?!
Thursday 31 May 2007 8.47am
My old Aunts referred to having a 'Ding Dong' meaning sing song..
The Cabbage term i had only heard of down East lane when asking a stall holder about the very good quality dresses he had at the time, he then explained the ' cabbage' principal!
KM
Thursday 31 May 2007 9.10am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
After that meander into personal reminiscence, was the film including the Trocette the 1974 edition of Omnibus - "My Life My Song" with an interview by Melvyn Bragg interposed with the songs from the album of that name???
http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/371790?view=synopsis

I wonder if the BFI could be persudaded to dig it out of their video archives?

If it is in their archive you could ask to view in it the new Videoteque (?) facility at the NFT.
Thursday 31 May 2007 9.25am
While still on the Bermondsey Boy theme, Tommy also mentions the Hicks family association to 'the print'. When I was a boy it was often said, 'we'll get his name down for the print'. My granddad worked in the printing presses in Fleet Street and he might be the person referred to by Tommy when his name was considered for the job. His name was Ladd Leonard Hicks and he was born in the Guiness Buildings in Snowsfields, just off Borough High Street, in 1900. I am therefore probably related to Tommy, although nearly everybody born in Bermondsey has claimed this!! Are there any of the Hicks clan out there who know my granddad's name? I never met him; in fact I am only here because he died in 1953 and I was produced as a diversion for my nan. She was Ethel Hutchings from Southwark Park Road and had a dialect which has now disappeared. Any help would be great.
Thursday 31 May 2007 10.30am
It was strange PorkPie as when I saw your grand-dads name I thought the name Ladd was a nickname given to him by his family, but looking on 1901 census he was there aged one..Ladd as his christian name.

The reason for the confusion on my part was my husband when I first met him referred to 'Boy May' who had a small garage near Chatham street.
When I met Boy May he was older than me mum!
Thursday 31 May 2007 11.00am
Hello all,

The documentary in question of Tommy Steele was called 'Tommy Steele and Things' and it was a part of the BBC's Omnibus series and shown (once, I think) in 1969.
It includes Tommy eating Pie'n'mash in Joycie's
Pie n Mash shop and having a bath at the Grange Road Swimming baths. There is also a great shot of Tommy walking passed all the shops and stalls in Tower Bridge Road and the local housing estates.
I have a copy on DVD.

Phil
www.bermondseybeat.com
Thursday 31 May 2007 11.06pm
Jan,
See what you mean about Ladd being a nickname but it surely wasn't. I have never heard of it before as a proper name. Anyway, I shall keep looking for answers. Tommy's book gives little away apart from immediate family and, having acquired an address for him a few years ago, did write ask if he knew a Ladd Hicks. No reply. If I get to the bottom of it perhaps all us Hicks clan will have a cabbage.......
Saturday 2 June 2007 8.37am
The blue plaque is still there on George Row
Saturday 2 June 2007 11.44am
carmenes82,your darkscreens link revealed a cinema once on Borough High Street. It looks like it was exactly where the Roxy is now. If they didn't do that on purpose it's a bit spooky.
Saturday 2 June 2007 5.41pm
beetroot wrote:
carmenes82,your darkscreens link revealed a cinema once on Borough High Street. It looks like it was exactly where the Roxy is now. If they didn't do that on purpose it's a bit spooky.

I presume the location is intentional. Hopefully there will be a few more cinemas coming back into the area if the Roxy is successful (I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about it).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions