London SE1 community website

Tommy Steele "Bermondsey Boy"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 4 June 2007 10.27am
To get back a bit, was Edwards anywhere near St Saviours and St Olave's school,anyone? I was at that school for a couple of years and remember buying very good doughnuts, also remember a cafe on the way in from Blackheath on a 52 or 53 bus from the heath, it was somewhere near New Cross, an ABC cafe. Also going past in the bus at New Cross there was a kind of meat auction place. Quite a busy area in the mid to late fifties. We used to go swimming at a local baths, but went to Crystal Palace on the bus to play tennis!
Monday 4 June 2007 12.38pm
Chavender,

Edwards was five-eight mins away from st.saviours.

The meat auction place was called Eatwell's, my Mum was a great fan..she would walk to New Cross from long lane and treat herself to a bus back! We loved it when she came back with our favourite dinner..chicken..now days you would call them posh..poussin! Mum would buy five for half a crown. Breast of lamb a tanner, and other assorted bargains. Even now my Mum still talks about going to Eatwell's for a
' bit of cheap meat' she's eightynine.
Monday 4 June 2007 1.46pm
Jan, replies are not getting through to me - perhaps I have been excluded, a bit like the Perronet House blog! so have gone to SE1 site and found your mail.

Yes, I remember it was called Eatwell's. It looked quite fascinating from the bus with a man holding up huge bits of meat and auctioning them. I seem to remember they sounded a bit of a bargain!

I used to buy those delicious doughnuts with pals from school. In those postwar years it was a good sight to see them being made and dipped in sugar.
Tuesday 5 June 2007 11.40am
Also included in BBC's Tommy Steele and Things is Tommy having a walk inside and outside the Trocette Cinema.
I have a copy of Tommy Steele-My Life, My Song
on dvd.
Tuesday 5 June 2007 12.16pm
Dear Bermondsey Beat...grovel..grovel..is there anyway that you could copy it for me? I would reimburse you wiv a quid or two!
Tuesday 5 June 2007 12.38pm
Erm?..I really shouldn't...phew...Is it illigal.....????..... Oh alright then!!

Phil

email me your address.
[email protected]
Thursday 7 June 2007 10.55am
I read Tommys book as soon as it came out, I loved it, he lived in the same street as my family who I am researching, Frean Street, I can remember my Dad telling me when I was young, and a BIG fan of Tommys, so seeing the photo of the street was great, as it has all gone now.
Friday 8 June 2007 11.04am
Hello Janet,

Sadly, the houses in Frean Street are long gone.
I do have a picture of Tommy's house 52 Frean Street from August 1957. the picture shows a few kids outside the door of his next door neighbour. I'm not sure if this is the same picture in his book?

Phil
Thursday 14 June 2007 11.28am
Hello Phil
I think it is the same photo in the book. My family lived at 42 another lived in 2 Ness street, the name was Lockwood. They had a road named after them, which has gone and is now Lockwood Sq.Can't fine any old photos though. Janet
Friday 15 June 2007 1.13pm
Hello Janet,

If any of you are around the London Bridge. Borough Station area. I really suggest popping in to the Southwark Local Studies library. It is situated behind the John Harvard Library on Borough High Street. It has a fantastic picture library which holds 1000's of old pictures of Bermondsey and Southwark, which you can take a laser copy of, for 60p each. also they perform Census and Parish register searches for you, by post for 10.00. Remember to write
a list down of all the streets you want to find
and enjoy...!!
This is there email address
[email protected]
Tel No.020 7525 2000.

Phil
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions