London SE1 community website

Tommy Steele "Bermondsey Boy"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 30 June 2007 5.46pm
Was someone asking for Tommy Steele's address? Don't know the postcode but a letter to Tommy Steele, Petersham Road, Ham, Surrey would probably reach him. He has a very large house there.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 4.50pm
Yes, he does. I've been past it many times on the bus (I live out that way). It's quite impressive.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 12.32pm
What a wonderful read! Just as some people need a map to get to know an area I cannot settle without a history map. I’ve been living at Dockhead Bermondsey for 6 years now and a variety of autobiographies have helped me get to know my local communities and settle in.
Tommy Steele introduced me to Bermondsey with a sense of fun and with an intelligent insight into the lives of his family and neighbours. I can still see him standing in the queue at Bermondsey Spa with his mum’s washing and having his reward at the pie and mash shop .

Bryan Magee introduced me to Hoxton (Clouds of Glory: A Childhood in Hoxton),

Roberta Taylor to Poplar(Too Many Mothers: A Memoir of an East End Childhood),

The Sugar girls to Silvertown

and Gwen Southgate to The Waterloo area in her autobiography, “Coin Street Chronicles”.

"Coin Street Chronicles" is a tale of real-life drama set in the 1930s and 1940s, on London's South Bank area-now a cultural showcase, but then a grimy, raucous underbelly of the city. Among its many colourful characters are big-hearted, garrulous, chain-smoking Aunt-mum; yarn-spinning, practical joker Grampa Benson; and Gwen Southgate's indomitable mother. The scene changes during World War II, when evacuation from London at the was age of ten opens up wider horizons for Gwen Southgate and her two younger brothers. The story follows her subsequent journeying around England and Wales as she learns to live with the different foibles of many families and encounters bewildering incidents like The Rice Pudding Affair and The Sinfulness of Enjoying a Sunday Walk. The memoir ends as she, finally, escapes the culture of poverty-after a determined struggle spearheaded by her feisty mother.
Gwen now lives in Princeton where her book has been favourably and enthusiastically received. I feel that the book would be well received by the same audience that welcomed the Sugar Girls.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 3.03pm
If you can get hold of a copy, "Walking My Walworth: A Sixties Childhood" by Maggie Filkins is a good read too.
Tuesday 3 July 2012 3.42pm
Thanks I shall check it out on Amazon.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions