London SE1 community website

Home births in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 13 July 2007 10.04am
Michelle, so you get to have a private room but only if you're willing to go without an epidural??

I'm a bit concerned about Southwark maternity services as my brother has told me there is a baby boom in South London at the moment (admittedly, he is a conspiracy theorist), but I've been denied a 12 week scan.

Stil debating the birth plan - thanks for all your views and contacts - really I don't know how much of it comes down to choice in the end. My other brother (family of know-it-alls) says 60% of planned home births result in hospital interventions anyway.
Friday 13 July 2007 10.39am
i have never heard of anyone being refused a 12 week scan in london.
i thought it was only in remote areas, where they can refuse.
if i were you, i would try to insist and otherwise maybe look into the private scan option, but not sure how much they are.
st thomas is a fantastic hospital and i had my son there in january, again a good experience in the home from home unit. he was actually born in the water pool. highly recommended.
the aftercare was slightly patchy though and the midwife who eventually showed up, was rather ropey.
but as with all the healthcare i am sure that they send the a-team when it matters and the c-team, when it doesn't.
good luck.
all the best
schnake
Friday 13 July 2007 10.56am
Hi Katy,

I second Schnake, the ladies I know who have given birth at St T's have nothing but praise for it.

My tongue was slightly in cheek about the free private room benefits of the Home from Home side [although it is a benefit and one I personally will be hanging onto my gas and air for!]- the idea is that it is a midwife led, natural, low intervention and tranquil [in a giving birth sense] unit for women who are anticipated to have a complication free delivery to choose as an alternative to the more traditional medical led, higher pain relief / intervention option which is also offered. You can do a hospital tour of the facilities on Tuesday and Thursday evenings - go to one and check it out for yourself. Reputation has it that if you do have a problematic time then St T's is the best place to be and it is a big referral hospital.

My two scans were clockwork and v. professional. Never heard of a scan being refused - is it your GP who refused you or St T's? Would get onto your GP and demand a scan at a different hospital if necessary.
Friday 13 July 2007 11.10am
It's complicated but the 12 week scan issue was due to a delay in referring at my surgery and then St Thomases could not reschedule. I'm going for a private scan which will cost 120, but will calm me down (for at least 5 minutes I hope!).
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions