London SE1 community website

Tesco Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 19 October 2007 11.10am
anyone been in? how does it compare with the sainsbury in BHS??
Friday 19 October 2007 12.31pm
I don't believe it - a queue for the opening of a local Tesco?

Yrs,
Mrs. Meldrew
Friday 19 October 2007 1.16pm
A little tip for local residents, based on my own experience of a (Sainsbury's) local branch opening up near where I used to live.

The new shop will have had to get its stock levels up to 100% before opening. For the first couple of weeks of trading until the store gets into the swing of stock rotation, it's likely that a lot of perishable goods may be reduced to pennies towards closing time each day, as everything goes out of date simultaneously. Packs of premium range/organic sausages for 20p - that sort of thing.

I remember going there a couple of evenings in a row and stocking up my entire freezer with premium range meat products for about 5.
Friday 19 October 2007 2.10pm
Hello

can I just remind everyone that 5 mins walk from this new Tescos there is a row of small local shops on Great Suffolk Street.

You can get better value meat from the butchers and they will order in anything you want.
You can get the exact amount of produce you want/need from the grocers and you ask for ripe/underripe/mixture etc etc and they'll bend over backwards to give you wahat you want
Theres a florist who sells houseplants and herbs for next to nothing, and will chat to you and advise them on how to keep them alive
theres a bakery
theres a dry cleaners
theres a competitior for crown of best cafe in London (Terrys)
there's The Giggling Sausage - not as good a cafe but what a great name
therea hairdressers (but, sadly, they're shite!)
there a newsagents

and most of all, if you come down a few times, there's people who'll smile at you and say hello.....

can you afford to spend an extra 1 on your total shopping budget for an entirely diferent way of shopping?
I made the choice to do so and nowdays I look forward to going shopping, whereas i used to despise it.
and I'm helping those people stay in business
Please try it if you havent given it a go already
Friday 19 October 2007 2.15pm
...hear hear! There's also a locksmith, a funeral director, a chippy and a pub with live music at weekends - hurrah!
Friday 19 October 2007 5.28pm
easyrecall wrote:
Hello
can I just remind everyone that 5 mins walk from this new Tescos there is a row of small local shops on Great Suffolk Street.

You can get better value meat from the butchers and they will order in anything you want.
You can get the exact amount of produce you want/need from the grocers and you ask for ripe/underripe/mixture etc etc and they'll bend over backwards to give you wahat you want
Theres a florist who sells houseplants and herbs for next to nothing, and will chat to you and advise them on how to keep them alive
theres a bakery
theres a dry cleaners
theres a competitior for crown of best cafe in London (Terrys)
there's The Giggling Sausage - not as good a cafe but what a great name
therea hairdressers (but, sadly, they're shite!)
there a newsagents

and most of all, if you come down a few times, there's people who'll smile at you and say hello.....

can you afford to spend an extra 1 on your total shopping budget for an entirely diferent way of shopping?
I made the choice to do so and nowdays I look forward to going shopping, whereas i used to despise it.
and I'm helping those people stay in business
Please try it if you havent given it a go already

Bravo!
Saturday 20 October 2007 2.49pm
Here, here too....but I did pop in around mid-day today, Sat.

Salad section virtually empty. No loose tomatoes. Only 'Express' size cereals, the Manager explained. Lottery terminal down. Could only use self-service till, which a friendly assistant showed me how to use.

He said they were 'taken by surprise' at the amount of business, yhesterday - they hadn't expected such a busy day! Ahem. Duh.
Sunday 21 October 2007 6.56pm
Spotted today - the woman who is [I think] a 'manager' at the BHSt Sainsburys [usually on her mobile to someone, or barging around the store bossing the assistants and generally appearing resentful of any customers who get in the way] - visiting the new Tescos. Hopefully, she wasn't looking for a job there...
Sunday 21 October 2007 7.36pm
no broadsheet newspapers...a wall of sandwiches (who are they expecting to eat them? its not quite covent garden in long lane)and some rather clueless staff, not a good start
Sunday 21 October 2007 9.58pm
and no eggs?? I don't think I'll be going back. Even my local newsagents will sell eggs.

Mrs Erniebug
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions