London SE1 community website

Tour De France - road closures

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 6 July 2007 12.59pm
The race is neutralized on Sunday until Greenwich so it will just be a procession in SE1 - still quite a sight though with all the support vehicles and tour caravan.

It's just more of a sight when you see the peleton at race pace.... awesome.
Friday 6 July 2007 1.08pm
I actually find the extent of the road closures on Sunday quite repressive - do they really need to be closed for so long? There are lots of us who live on the "wrong" side of the route who will be boxed in for all that time. This is quite difficult when you need to travel on Sundays.

And then to find out that all the inconvenience here is for a procession to the start at Greenwich and not the actual race itself!
Friday 6 July 2007 4.36pm
What time will the rotherhithe tunnel be open on sunday? my daughter will be bringing me back from potters bar via the tunnel hopefully...to new kent road...?
Friday 6 July 2007 7.49pm
According to this

the tunnel is closed...

Rotherhithe Tunnel 06:00- 14:00 on the 8th July
Friday 6 July 2007 8.54pm
Could we maybe cut some slack here? The guys are going to be racing for 2,220 miles until the end of July.

Can't we work round a few road closures?

It's the third time the Tour has been to the UK, the first time it's started here and I for one am delighted SE1 will be beamed out to the world as the TdF goes though.

Happy riding all of you.
Zoe
Friday 6 July 2007 10.25pm
For those of us not into cycling, it's just an annoyance, sorry Al.W!
Saturday 7 July 2007 7.56am
That's what happens when you live in a dynamic attractive city that is asked to host probably one of the biggest sporting events in the world. You don't need to be a cycling fan to enjoy the size, excitement and energy of the race as it goes by. It's a spectacle to be enjoyed for what it is. In fact at racing speed you would probably only see the riders for seconds at most. Dip your toes in, the water might be nice.

If not then I am sure an event that you will enjoy will be along soon and we will need to put up with the inconvienence that it will cause. We share this space we live in....and we all know that sharing means compromise.
Zoe
Saturday 7 July 2007 8.18am
Good point deano, I shall endevour to try to appreciate events in future, even the ones that seem pointless to me.

And I'm sure the demonstrations I've attended in my time have caused disruption, and probably annoyed other users of this forum, and I wasn't bothered then!
Sunday 8 July 2007 6.22pm
The sight of that many cyclists and their entourage coming over Tower Bridge and along Jamaica Road was just amazing. Definately a unique occassion and gave a real insight into what a huge sporting event Le Tour is. Hope lots of people managed to see it and it made up for the road closures !

I have never really followed cycling before but I might be tempted to watch a few stages now !
Zoe
Sunday 8 July 2007 9.19pm
I was suprised at how many cars and buses there were, for a cycling event........but it was a nice atmosphere, every one was cheering and clapping.

I think some stalls should have been organised for the Southbank, to give people more of a day out.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions