London SE1 community website

Tour De France - road closures

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 9 July 2007 9.57am
Fabulous to see la tour from Tower Bridge, but it was pity I didn't have my camera on me. Having watched some of the time trails the day before, when the crowds were fairly horrendous, I was surprised to find that Tower Bridge was not unbearable and was able to get a really good view.

As for the road closures I found it rather peaceful in Se1 Sunday and wouldn't mind them being closed a bit more often. The inconvenince is outweighed in my mind by the sheer pleasure of having less traffic on the roads, as even the ones that were not closed were quiter than usual
Monday 9 July 2007 10.20am
[Totally unrelated to the Tour] I think that they used to have occasional car-free days in Paris.

I'd be really in favour of it in London every now and again. If only as a means to get people to rethink on whether a car is absolutely so "essential" to their everyday life.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 9 July 2007 10.40am
Thanks to everyone who has sent in pics - they are now on the map:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/maps/tour-de-france

Click the green bicycle icons to see the pictures.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 10 July 2007 7.22am
What struck me James in Martinrs picture was the amount of street signs in the background!
KM
Tuesday 10 July 2007 8.00am
Hey James, which one were you, your pic looks like we were in roughly the same place?

I wasn't going to go and gawp but my partner pointed out that as I love the Tour (been watching on TV for 20 years) I would be stupid to miss the opportunity to see even the procession live so went over. 30 seconds of happiness, wish I had the stamina etc etc of those guys. Thanks for bringing it to London Ken, first thing you've done right for years - am I wrong about the Olympics?
Tuesday 10 July 2007 12.10pm
Jan the old one wrote:
What struck me James in Martinrs picture was the amount of street signs in the background!

I didn't notice at the time but now you mention it yes there are loads - I guess a lot of them are because it's a red route, but even so, it's ridiculous that there's so much street junk
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions