London SE1 community website

Traffic noise in Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 20 July 2007 8.02am
The roadworks aren't helping at the moment as when the traffic flows more freely you don't notice it before about 6.30am. A queue of buses and cars outside your window slowing down, waiting, and starting from stationary is much noisier than freely-flowing traffic.

I agree, Birdie. I too feel that 20mph is too slow for a main road.

1. people don't obey it so it doesn't increase safety levels

2. it can create danger as people focus on their speedometers

3. it slows down London and increases congestion. Even buses are slowed down, so this isn't just an elitist car driver's point of view.
Friday 20 July 2007 11.25am
The 20mph speed limit seems especially pointless since it stops halfway along the road and goes back to 30mph. I think Abbey Street is also now supposedly a 20mph road, and they've put lots of speed humps along there, which are quite high so you have to slow down to about 15mph just to get over them without losing your exhaust. I have only seen one sign though, up by the Jamaica Road end, and no one does 20mph in between the speed bumps. I guess when the limit is 30, people do 40, which might be why they've been reduced...
Saturday 21 July 2007 8.48am
chuckalata wrote:
I guess when the limit is 30, people do 40, which might be why they've been reduced...

OK, so to have 20mph are you suggesting that the speed limit should be 10mph? :)
Saturday 21 July 2007 3.45pm
There is the absurd sight on Grange Road/Spa Road junction of a warning sign for school children next to a sign warning of an INCREASE in speed limit to 30 mph just in time to reach the school crossing point. Well done Southwark traffic planners, I see you're not getting out of the office much.http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/865120034/
Tuesday 2 December 2008 6.17pm
Hi all,

I'm writing a piece about the speed bumps on grange road. It would be great to chat about your views.

Please email me on [email protected]

Thanks,
Lena
Monday 1 July 2013 8.41am
Dear all,

I am looking to buy a property (small flat) in SE1 and came across this fantastic forum whilst doing my background research. I love that there is a forum for residents in SE1 and it makes me love the area even more!

There is currently a flat for sale on the corner of Grange Road and Tower Bridger Road that I am interested in and I wondered if anyone can tell me what it’s like living there, please? I came across this previous discussion on the forum about the noise level on Grange Road (albeit from 2007), so realised that there were members on this forum who live near this location.

I appreciate that Tower Bridge Road and Grange Road are both very busy main roads and with the added position of being on the intersection means that there will be heavy road noise. I am not put off by moderate traffic noise but would like to get an understanding of what it is like later at night? Is it just as busy and noisy at night as in the daytime during peak hour?

I have searched the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affair (DEFRA) noise map and note that the intersection is colour coded as a high noise level area (which is expected). I have also tried to scope out the location in person on a few occasions now – twice during peak hour traffic at about 6pm in the evenings, once at about 8am in the morning, once at about 8pm and on another occasion at about 10.30pm o a Saturday night. The corner is definitely busy but I was wondering whether these roads get quieter later into the night? What time in the morning does the traffic start up again?

The flat already double glazing installed and whilst I was viewing it, I noted that the noise was quite muted, but understand that the road noise may be further helped by installing Ventrolla ‘sound proof’ double glazing – I would be interested to hear from anyone who has this installed and what their experience has been like? Has it helped it further or does this only help to a certain degree?

Many thanks in advance for your help. Hopefully, I can contribute to the forum in the not too distant future as a fully fledged resident.

Kind regards,
Phear
Monday 1 July 2013 1.12pm
Hi Phear,
I live just off Grange Road, single glazed windows. The traffic down Grange road is pretty quiet most of the time. The only intrusive sounds tend to be emergency service sirens as you can hear them from a long way off. At night it is nice and quiet too.

The corner of TBR and Grange Road will obviously have more traffic noise, but compared to other intersections I have known it is not too bad at all.

Hope this helps
Thursday 4 July 2013 3.10pm
Auntie Pat - thank you for the feed back, much appreciated.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions