London SE1 community website

Buying wine in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 20 July 2007 12.51pm
Igloo has a really good selection these days - i'm aware that they source wines through a number of independent suppliers so might scratch the itch for a few of you wine buffs...
Friday 20 July 2007 1.01pm
Has anyone already tried the wine retailer in Tooley Street, next to a bicyles store and the London Dungeon? It looks very upmarket and inviting from the outside.
Friday 20 July 2007 3.58pm
Having checked out the M and C site, I'm definitely going to go there. No information - or none that I could find - on opening hours, though.
Friday 20 July 2007 10.22pm
Igloo?? who he?
Friday 20 July 2007 10.53pm
diogenes3 wrote:
Igloo?? who he?

Igloo is the florist on Bermondsey St. opposite the Garrison.
Friday 20 July 2007 11.12pm
Nice flowers. The wine selection is pretty limited and nothing too special, from what I've seen.
jw
Saturday 21 July 2007 8.24am
Has anyone tried Waterloo Wines on Lant street?
Saturday 21 July 2007 11.43am
jw wrote:
Has anyone tried Waterloo Wines on Lant street?

Yep, hundreds of times. The owner is a very nice chap and will happily find something to fit your budget and tastes. Although I may be slightly biased because he once tracked down a make of sherry that I'd had on holiday and loved but couldn't remember what it was called and got me a bottle in. It didn't taste half as good as I remembered, but I was grateful for the effort!
Saturday 21 July 2007 3.09pm
I mentioned WW in the post that began this thread. It's a decent shop, run by an affable guy, with some interesting wines, including a nice selection from Germany and Austria and some good clarets with a bit of bottle age.
Saturday 21 July 2007 10.33pm
The original starter of the thread mentioned Waterloo Wines and I would recommend digging deeper in there. As mentioned jst above the owner is a fantastc guy who is happy to talk you through any choices you have, answer questions, gives tastes of some things he has on Saturdays etc.

I have really enjoyed shopping there. The french wine selection there is quite decent for stuff in the 10-20 range - I havent tried the ones above that, so cant comment on them. He also usually has one or two worthwhile choices there in French wines down to 6 or 7 even.

M&C below the arches of the railway was a bit of a dissapointment IMO. Cheap Spanish wines - yes. Good, not so sure. The guy there told me the mostly supply the on-trade, probably with the pooerer end of house wine-ish stuff. But their selection was pretty small and the quality did not impress me, even at the price. I would take my chances in Waterloo Wines before them.

But it is there so its still worth a look. The wine could well work for other peoeple, even if it didnt hit my spot.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions