London SE1 community website

Site in Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 1 August 2007 10.59am
Oh yes, and if, New Resident, you were wondering about the other empty site on Grange Road - between Clement & Foster and Futura House (with the Premier newsagent/shop on the ground floor).

I had thought that it was a bomb site, but there were two handsome Regency houses that stood there until the mid sixties at least.

It belongs to Vision Homes, who built Futura House. They have planning permission for a large development of offices and mixed housing with retail premises to the face of Grange Road. They keep on varying the planning permission, but I don't know why they haven't started building.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 5.24pm
I've emailed Southwark Council to ask about the Pages Walk site and will report back when I get a reply.

I'd also wondered about the site next to Premier. Perhaps they are/were waiting until they had sold/let all the units in Futura house? It took them a while to get the ground floor level units full.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 9.35pm
I am not sure, but have a feeling that the site referred to (the old Esso Garage) in Grange Road may be subject to a 'ransom strip', which might account for the delay in development. If anyone has noticed, there is a fenced off 'driveway' to the rear of a house on Crimscott Street (Number 1 Crimscott Street?) providing access to the house.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 10.17pm
I think I'd heard a similar story about this. I'm not a property lawyer, but I would have thought the council would be able to exercise a CPO to acquire the land if it is preventing the building on council property?
Thursday 2 August 2007 8.32am
Less a ransom strip than the owner of the house on Crimscott street has a right of access across the site.

I don't believe that it *belongs* to the Council... private developers as usual.
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.53pm
Hi there

Does anyone anything about the two lovely, but derelict, houses on Grange Road that are currently the second hand furniture shop. They are beside BEW Electrical, between Griggs Place and Fendall Street.

I just wondered who might own them and why they haven't been restored as habitable.

Gerard
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.01pm
204-205 Grange Road belong to a private company. If you look on the Southwark planning website it gives a link to a couple of applications for planning permission from a dodgy firm of architects in North London.

The owner wants to knock them down and build 6 flats - and in fact obtained pp for such conversion about five years ago (but not for 8 flats). By all accounts, he is now waiting for them to fall down in order to be able to build flats.

Whether you would now obtain pp to turn them into houses I don't know. The downstairs portions are (were!) shops, and they like shops fronting onto the road on Grange Road.
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.18pm
I received this email from Southwark Council today:

Hi Christopher,

This devilment is not part of the Aylesbury regeneration programme.

I have checked with my colleagues. The nearest Southwark development site is Leroy St. If you would like any extra information on this please let me know.

Regards,
Georgie
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.28pm
bottom-elbow confusion!
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.58pm
Thanks for the info, Mapmaker
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions