London SE1 community website

Tribeca Square (Oakmayne Plaza)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 20
Thursday 20 December 2007 9.16pm
I wonder why the apparent snobiness from the developers about budget hotel chains? I can't see how they would have affected the quality of the building, and budget chain does not equate to the "wrong sort of guests" - everyone seems happy to stay in a Travelodge these days.
Friday 21 December 2007 10.37am
Kings Cross is a very different regeneration project to that of the Elephant and Castle; it is already an important area in its own right but will become an international destination with high quality transport links to the rest of London, the UK and Europe once complete, that makes it a far more attractive proposition for hotel chains and international businesses etc.

The regeneration of the Elephant & Castle is based far more around an existing community, where people live and work, so the emphasis is on housing and facilities for local people. Kings Cross is somewhere that people will continue to visit in there millions and so there is a far greater demand for budget hotels, tourist attractions and commercial office space.

With few commercial offices in the immediate area yet with the South Bank University nearby, I can understand the developer's logic in moving away from a luxury hotel to student accommodation, however I still hope that the scheme will be of a high quality, as is certainly the case with Kings Cross, where the new public buildings are very impressive.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Friday 21 December 2007 12.30pm
The developer only "moved from hotel to student accommodation" because he got an offer from Mr. Student Accommodation Ltd and was in a hurry to sell his development off plan instead of being able to wait until the project was under way and the PR would have persuaded a hotel chain it needs to be here. Cant say Kings Cross is such a fantastic tourist venue? How come? Is the South Bank and the Borough not just as attractive? And with some VERY high end flats coming on stream, people will need somewhere for their visitors to stay (I speak from experience)....
Friday 21 December 2007 1.24pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
The developer only "moved from hotel to student accommodation" because he got an offer from Mr. Student Accommodation Ltd and was in a hurry to sell his development off plan instead of being able to wait until the project was under way

Surely that fair enough. If I wanted to sell my house and had a firm offer for it say from someone with green hair I would take it rather than wait for an offer from someone with say orange hair just because I would ideally prefer someone with orange hair to have it
Friday 21 December 2007 2.35pm
The South bank and Borough are certainly some of the most attractive tourist destinations in London and are rightly served by some excellent hotels. You only have to look at the new Hilton London Bridge and the now approved Jumeriah hotel to see that; however these are all within easy walking distance of those areas, centrally located and close to the centre, where people want to stay.

Right now the Elephant & Castle is neither a high profile London tourist destination in its own right nor a gateway to other such areas in terms of its rail station, as is the case with a major terminal such as Kings Cross or Waterloo etc. Once the regeneration is complete however, the area will almost certainly see a large increase in visitors and that's when the hotels will move in.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
PJ
Friday 21 December 2007 3.21pm
Where will the hotels move into? What site?

New modern hotels started moving into Kings Cross 7 years ago in advance of the regeneration or international rail link because they had a definite timetable for the regenration that was taking place in that area.

In Elephant the goal posts are continually moved and the regeneration schedule constantly altered (backwards in time).

No wonder businesses of all sizes and types have little faith in the scheme so far.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 4.57pm
I noted the new hotel proposals in Waterloo Road last year http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/74680/75107#msg-75107.
Interestingly I see that construction is now underway at one of the sites (the one nearest to St Georges Circus) although I havn't see any sign/weblink to confirm that it will be a hotel. One of the other sites - the former religous building close to the Old Vic and opposite the Ambulance Control Centre is also now boarded up.
Monday 7 April 2008 12.10pm
Hi there. Anyone heard anymore about timescales etc. The Heygate looks like an arc welders paradise with all the voiding that's going on over there. Some of the flats seem 30-40% boarded up.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 4.03pm
Anyone noticed the giant stag that's been installed on the site?

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3302

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 13 May 2008 4.07pm
Well done, Ben Long! It's great.
Current: 10 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions