London SE1 community website

Tribeca Square (Oakmayne Plaza)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 20
Tuesday 20 October 2009 8.14am
I was told by "one who knows" that Oakmayne had always punched above their weight on this development. They didnt have the finance to weather the financial crisis, and their (in my view) foolish decision to scrap the hotel in favour of student accommodation, hence having to return to planning, meant that they missed their window for a start date. Query is: what is now going to happen on that site?
Friday 23 October 2009 2.22pm
If Oakmayne doesn't happen, I won't be upset. It's a very boring design and doesn't include a big enough cinema or swimming pool, two of the things Elephant really needs IMHO.
Tuesday 8 December 2009 1.57pm
Just noticed on the Oakmayne site that Oakmayne Plaza is marked 'Under Construction' Don't know if that's a change?
Tuesday 8 December 2009 2.17pm
Well something has to happen on that site, as it's meant to be the future of the traders from the shopping centre and the market area. There was meant to be a 5/6 screen movie house which would be GREAT, and orginally a hotel. The swimming pool will be in the new Leisure Centre. (This is all in THEORY of course...we should all live so long).
Monday 19 April 2010 2.15pm
Just noticed that all the Oakmayne CGI's of the Plaza, the blue elephants and the 'Think Elephant, Think Oakmayne' placards have been removed from the fence around the vacant site. What does that mean?
Monday 19 April 2010 2.42pm
It was always rumoured that they'd missed their window and lost the financing. Guess they'll have to sell the site on.
Saturday 22 May 2010 12.00am
Odd, there was an advertisement for Oakmayne plaza in a New Homes 'mini-magazine' included with the Evening Standard's ES magazine this evening.

I wouldn't have thought an ad submission for this magazine would have to have been given a long time ago, and it wouldn't have been too late to remove.

A plain old mistake, or a sign that the development is still in the pipeline?
Saturday 22 May 2010 5.38am
I think you are right bobcourt, things appear to be stirring again....fingers crossed!
Saturday 22 May 2010 8.55am
Depending on your definition of "launch", they'd better get cracking because the advertisement stated "launching 2010" !
Saturday 24 July 2010 1.28pm
What a difference a year makes - the top picture was taken in June 2009 and the bottom picture is from June 2010

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Current: 12 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions