London SE1 community website

Tribeca Square (Oakmayne Plaza)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 20
Tuesday 31 July 2007 6.59am
Jan, I put up a separate thread about this...
Tuesday 31 July 2007 3.29pm
So here's the update:
a)Hotel has been shelved largely because it was not attracting a BIG (Hilton, Meridien) type investor who could take the whole block and also because the needs for special lobby and entrace and vehicle approach and so on were going to compromise the cinema. SO the block is being made into a large student accommodation block, and
b) in addition there is going to be far more retail space with much bigger units which is something that the traders will be happy about (the original retail space was pretty pathetic).
c)the offices are being cancelled again for logistic reasons (they would have to had had separate lifts and entrances etc.,) so that whole block will be flats.
Tuesday 31 July 2007 3.42pm
You would have thought that all this would have been thought out before now!....i really hope this wasnt part of their thinking all along!

i just hope there arent any big re-designs to save money now students are the new residents instead of a plush hotel!
Tuesday 31 July 2007 3.45pm
This sounds as if they're not trying very hard to attract a big hotel chain. The location is:
1) 2 mins walk from a rail line which connects Gatwick and Luton Airports
2) 5 mins walk from a tube station to the West End or City
3) outside the congestion charge zone
4) 10 mins in a cab from the City

Surely these factors are sufficient to intice a hotel in the business and or budget airline market?

It will be a missed opportunity if E&C doesn't get a large hotel/conference centre as part of the regeneration.
Tuesday 31 July 2007 4.30pm
I totally agree and put this to Mr. Oakmayne. We are desperately missing a half way decent hostelry here. And I also pointed out to him that this smacked of a lack of joined up thinking. To this he could only hang his head!
Tuesday 31 July 2007 4.43pm
Oakmayne have also purchased a building to redevelop on Blackfriars Rd. Hannah House I think. Presently used as student accomadation. Maybe this could become a Hotel development instead, Slightly better location and just across the road from your front door Jackie.
I agree a good hotel is esential so maybe have a chat with Mr Oakmayne about it
Tuesday 31 July 2007 6.24pm
Student accom is not necc a bad thing - can contribute to a vibrant nightlife in the area
Tuesday 31 July 2007 6.26pm
Student accom. is great...BUT, as well as a hotel not instead.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 10.03am
Got my geography slightly wrong Hanna house is on Newington Causway. Sorry
PJ
Wednesday 1 August 2007 1.47pm
Did he have to say anything about whether all this would be delivered on time?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions