London SE1 community website

Tribeca Square (Oakmayne Plaza)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 20
Sunday 28 October 2007 12.52pm
Will have more to report on this after tomorrow.
Sunday 28 October 2007 1.05pm
williamn wrote:
Pizza Hut? Bring back Castello Pizza!

Not exactly impressed by Somerfield either - sub-Tesco quality at Waitrose prices!
Sunday 28 October 2007 1.06pm
Good point! re:Castello

And yes, I'd prefer a different supermarket too.

look forward to jackie's update..
PJ
Sunday 28 October 2007 5.00pm
I know I was hoping for something a bit more interesting too. Who are you seeing tomorrow Jackie?
Sunday 28 October 2007 5.40pm
Ahhh, well, that'd be telling. But rest assured, they are all people in the ultra-know.
Sunday 28 October 2007 11.22pm
I suspect posher chains dont feel the area is ready for them and rates are probably too high for local independent businesses. So we will probably end up with a variety of lower-end chain retailers....
PJ
Monday 29 October 2007 7.02pm
So what have you found out for us Jackie?
Monday 29 October 2007 7.37pm
Sooooo, here's an update.
a)Not surprisingly, despite the rather naive belief on the part of Oakmayne that their new planning application (for change of use from Hotel to Student hostel + more retail space than before and a six screen rather than five screen cinema, and no offices only residential flats) would be heard in September, the planning meeting has now been shoved back and back and last heard was end of November. Dont hold your breath. This is of course costly for Oakmayne, but also annoying for the programme of the development. b)the enormous amount of Student Hostel space raised eyebrows. More discussion will ensue. It's not over till the fat lady sings.
Cant see them getting back on site much before Christmas.
PJ
Monday 29 October 2007 8.19pm
So are you saying that no work is being done on the site at the moment? If not what does this mean in terms of their timetable?
Monday 29 October 2007 8.31pm
Precisely. And work has been on hold for several months. This is because they changed their idea of the plans. A point for discussion.
Current: 8 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions